Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Francisco Caamaño

Default About NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System

I had a DIY CO2 and it kept giving me problems, has anybody used the
NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System ??? is it any good ????

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...co2system.html

Thanks ...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
LeighMo

I had a DIY CO2 and it kept giving me problems, has anybody used the
NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System ??? is it any good ????

It sounds like an expensive version of DIY to me.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Dave Millman

"Francisco Caamaño" wrote:

I had a DIY CO2 and it kept giving me problems, has anybody used the
NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System ??? is it any good ????

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...co2system.html

Please note that the Nutrafin system is a manufactured system which does
exactly what your DIY system does. The two packages contain yeast and
sodium bicarbonate, and you supply your own sugar. Given that you
already know how to mix yeast and sugar, you might not be too happy to
pay their price for the little packets.

Enough people have problems with diffusing CO2 that it might be worth it
just for the bubble counter/diffuser module, if it was cheap enough!

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Francisco Caamaño

before I had as diffuser a powerhead like in this image
http://www3.sympatico.ca/c1000mg/aquarium/figure1.gif and I had good CO2
level but I had a growing white fungus at the botton where the CO2 was
coming out.... !!!! you can see this picture
http://www3.sympatico.ca/c1000mg/aqu...problem005.jpg and now I don't
have the undergravel filter how else can I make a diffuser in a cheap way
???? I also tryed the bell but it didn't give me good CO2 Level....

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Aqua

I am using Duetto DJ-50 internal filter for diffusing CO2. Its a very small
filter with an option to inject air line. I have a picture of it in my
article

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

I just coincidently happen to see one of these things in action while
at the LFS store today. The first thing I noticed was the CO2 bubble
mover system inside the tank. It's very cool to watch....but, the
more I thought about it, the more it seems like this type of diffusion
wouldn't be any better than a 'bell' type diffuser....maybe worse?
The bubble just reaches the top and goes to the surface

The canister was nice tho. Maybe too small for a larger tank but
perfect for something like a 5-10..maybe 20 gallon.

My little 1L reactor is pllumbed into the bottom of the venturi of my
power filter and is giving me 20-28ppm. I can't imagine doing much
better....actually, any higher would be a concern

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
RifRaf

I actualy considered using a DJ-50 when first trying to figure out how
I was gonna dissolve the CO2. I got impatient with myself and just
wanted to get *something* going and finally stuck the end of the
airline at the end of the intake tube of the power filter.

It ended up working SO well I've just forgotten about looking more
into finding a hi-tek diffuser.

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

If you can't use a powerhead, you can try snaking the end of the diffuser
line into the intake tube of your canister filter, or whatever. The CO2
will be entirely resorbed into the water by the time it comes out the
outflow tube. This method will, however, make a few filters (i.e., mine)
rattle.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Steve Galupe

Locally here, it's expensive. CAD$60! I got a 10lbs cylinder(w/ CO2) for
$25, needle valve for $30, and hosing and reactor for around $10. You have
an almost maintenance free CO2 system.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Steve Galupe

For some reason, DIY CO2 will always do that. I used a wooden airstone that
deformed and was almost covered by the same stuff.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
E. Mito

In article , "Steve Galupe"
writes:

For some reason, DIY CO2 will always do that. I used a wooden airstone that
deformed and was almost covered by the same stuff.

Interesting thing about the white stuff (bacterial or fungal colonization, I
think?)...I noticed some of it starting to develop on a new setup I just put
together and the snails seem to like eating it...sort of weird.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
David Marshburn

kush wrote:
: If you can't use a powerhead, you can try snaking the end of the diffuser
: line into the intake tube of your canister filter, or whatever. The CO2
: will be entirely resorbed into the water by the time it comes out the
: outflow tube. This method will, however, make a few filters (i.e., mine)
: rattle.

Any idea if the same sort of scheme would work for an over-the-back power
filter? I sort of doubt it, but am not experienced with CO2 systems.
Maybe introducing the CO2 under the filter media would work?

cheers,
-david
Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Florian

David Marshburn writes:

kush wrote:
: If you can't use a powerhead, you can try snaking the end of the
: diffuser line into the intake tube of your canister filter, or
: whatever. The CO2 will be entirely resorbed into the water by the
: time it comes out the outflow tube. This method will, however,
: make a few filters (i.e., mine) rattle.

Any idea if the same sort of scheme would work for an over-the-back
power filter? I sort of doubt it, but am not experienced with CO2
systems. Maybe introducing the CO2 under the filter media would
work?

I experimented with this last week. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the side
of a spare intake tube for my AquaClear 150, tapered the end of an
airline from my DIY CO2 yeast culture, and worked it in.

It seemed quite effective; I got a pH drop from ~8.2 to ~7.0 in the 7
gallon tank (~6 gal water volume), compared to the ~7.6 pH I get just
letting the CO2 gently bubble out of an airstone. The CO2 bubbles
hitting the impeller made bubbly noises, of course. Also, there was a
fair bit of suction, so be careful if using a soft-walled
(collapsible) bottle for your yeast culture.
--
odoratusque est Dominus odorem suavitatis
Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
RifRaf

I'm also using an AQ150 with the tube tappered off feeding the bottom
of the tube.
I normally measure about 25'ish ppm....granted, this is a 5 gal tank

I keep the filter turned down to its lowest flow rating (to reduce
surface agitation and eddies) so there's absolutely NO suction
happening. I don't think it even happens at higher levels....don't
even see *how* this could be happeing to others.
I didn't drill a hole in the tube. I just have the bubbles entering
the slits in the bottom of the tube so there's really NO WAY enuf
suction can be built-up this way....and it works perfectly.

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

I won't use an airstone just for that reason. I THINK the substance itself
is benign, but it affects the bubble size, eventually cancelling out the
benefit of using the stone over just having an uncapped line. Someone
recently suggested using the disposables. I just introduce the CO2 in ways
that don't require a stone, diffusion chamber and powerhead injection.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Dave

I use a Duetto DJ-50 internal filter in my heavily-planted 29gal tank:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a...ct/default.asp

I attached the CO2 line to the hose barb. I wasn't getting quite the CO2
dissolution that I wanted, so I rigged up a plastic cup to redirect some of
the output back to the input. Basically just cut a notch out of a
large plastic cup, inverted the cup and pushed it over filter. Works
great now.

In , "Francisco Caamaño"
empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy: