Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
cindy

Default brown edges of frogbit

I put a few things of frogbit in my tank 2 weeks ago. I've read on
this message board that it is a good way to monitor iron levels. They
have looked healthy - but recently the edges or tips of the leaves
have begun to turn brown. Do you think this indicates low iron?

TIA,
cindy
Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Greg

I thought they get yellow from low iron? Mine go brown because of aphids,
or if they are right underneath my eheim fertilizer doser.
m...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Allen Smith

I am not sure, but I think the leaves turning brown and looking like
they are dying is more a sign of nitrate defiency than iron. Iron
defiency looks like yellow where there should be green, not brown
where there should be green.
Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Allen Smith

How big are aphids? I have little bugs, about the size of a small
grain of sand. They rest on top of the frogbit and are dark black in
color. Are those them? I always left them there, as I figured they
were a good source of free food for baby fish - I assume baby fish are
eating them, because I keep having new baby cherry barbs everytime I
look at the tank. If I disturb the bugs by blowing on them or just
opening the top they bounce around on the top of the water. I don't
know what else I can say to describe them.

Are aphids or the animals I describe harmful in any way? The leaves of
my frogbit are almost never brown, usually only one leaf or two is
brown, but it isn't enough to worry me.

I stopped supplementing for about 2 weeks and the frogbit leaves
started to turn brown, so I assumed it was just the nitrate and not
anything else. They were, however, putting out small new leaves, not
as large as normal leaves, but there was new growth. I did occasionly
dose potassium, but never dosed nitrate. Reason I stopped dosing so
much is that I ran out of CO2 and haven't gotten it filled yet -
plants are still fine, just a little extra algae is all.