Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Patrick Chen

Default Rapid Growing Background Val

Hi! Can someone help me with selecting the Vallisneria species that grows
really fast (coz I am really impatient)? Right now, I have Val spiralis and
it seems like it's taking forever to grow tall, although within the first
week I have tons of runners from the plants. I want the background properly
covered :-) Please help! Thanks!
__________________________________________________ ________________ dALoneR
Mishtaah ICQ#: 1339628 Current ICQ status: ( Home Tel#: na na na ( Work
Tel#: la la la 7 Fax#: up yourz + More ways to contact me

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Velvet

If you don't mind it going from being a good thing (growing fast) to being a
bad thing, go for giant vallis. I mistakenly put this in my 29gal tank, and
its leaves reached more than 4' length within a week. Very fast growing
leaf-wise, and very fast growing runners-wise, too. Throws out a baby every
few days to a week. My spirallis hasn't done a lot, in comparison. Nice
roots on it, and the leaves are slowly growing, but no runners off it yet.

Oh. BTW - my giant vallis now grows so fast, that it a) looks lovely, b)
shades the tank far too much, c) provides more offshoots than I know what to
do with, and d) keeps my compost heap regularly fed with plant matter...
If you're in the UK, I could attempt to ship you some offshoots next time I
trim it?

Velvet

. ..

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Bruce

Vals tend to want to do one of two things, send out runners, or grow tall.
If you want them to grow tall, split the plants into singles.

Bruce.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Pat

Thanks Velvet & Bruce - you guys are great! I am learning a lot here. :-)
Velvet, you're so sweet - thanks very much for the offer, too bad I am in
Toronto. But I will get the kinda val you have and when they form runners I
will split the plant (Bruce, thanks)
Regards!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Velvet

"Pat" wrote in message
. ..
Hello Velvet!
What do you do when your Val grows too tall? Can you simply snip it

short -
I don't think??? The leaves will probably die then, right? I only have a
20G tank now and 4' is way too much, I think. Even the tallest tank

around
here isn't 4'!! Yup, I love tall background plants but not to the extent

of
having poor light distribution in the tank. Suggestions? :-)

Well, what I do *is* snip the leaves off at the surface point - so I'm left
with leaves that have blunt (snipped) ends. The ends *do* die back, but the
entire leaf doesn't seem to. It looks a bit tatty, until the leaves grown
up and start to lie on the surface again, but that's when the shading starts
to happen again. I keep toying with the idea of just doing a *serious*
light upgrade, to take account of the Val shading the tank, but think the
hood would get far too hot (it already keeps the tank temp at 80+ in
summer!). I've also got some red-tipped vallis in there, and that has
slightly smaller leaves (not quite so wide) but that still grows tall enough
to shade the top, too, though I *think* the final leaf length might be less
than the giant val. I'll do an experiment and leave a single red-tipped
leaf to grow and see how long it is. I know the giant is capable of *at
least* 4' long leaves :-) Must say too, it looks stunning in the tank when
the leaves *do* lie across the surface. Wish I had a really deep tank just
so I could let it show of it's full glory, but that's not practical.

I'd suggest giant val for the back whilst your spiralis grows up, but
uprooting the giant once you're done with it will probably cause more
disruption than it's worth, to be honest. And, the runners get EVERYWHERE,
so you really have to start pulling them out as they form to contain it.
It's the single most rampant thing in my tank after duckweed (and that's not
that far ahead of it!). The red-tipped might be a better choice, it's
slightly slower growing, and seems slower with the off-shoots, but the
leaves would still need cutting to length when it starts to shade the tank.
On the plus side, my fish really love the val. They glide and dart in and
out between it's leaves, and hang out in the still bits of surface water
they create when they start shading the tank again.

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Pat

Thanks Velvet! Imma go get me a Giant Val now, U been gr8! Take care n
God Bless!