Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Francisco Caamaño

Default tap water GH is 100 ppm & my aquarium is 240 ppm

I haven't add anything in to the water but the readings in the acuarium a
Temp.= 29 °C (about 84 °F)
pH =7.0 (came down after I put the DIY CO2)
KH=3.6 dH°
KH (ppm)=60
CO2 = 6.36 (an excel worksheet calculates the amount of CO2)
GH(ppm)=240
GH= 24. fH°

and I tested my tap water and I was pH is 7.6, KH = 50 ppm and GH=100 ppm
(about 5.6 dH) still high but is a lot lower then my tap water, could it be
the gravel and the Flourite that makes ir HARD !! ?????????????? is another
way to make the GH lower, ????

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
David Lloyd

"Francisco Caama o" wrote in message ...
I haven't add anything in to the water but the readings in the acuarium a
Temp.= 29 °C (about 84 °F)
pH =7.0 (came down after I put the DIY CO2)
KH=3.6 dH°
KH (ppm)=60
CO2 = 6.36 (an excel worksheet calculates the amount of CO2)
GH(ppm)=240
GH= 24. fH°

and I tested my tap water and I was pH is 7.6, KH = 50 ppm and GH=100 ppm
(about 5.6 dH) still high but is a lot lower then my tap water, could it be
the gravel and the Flourite that makes ir HARD !! ?????????????? is another
way to make the GH lower, ????

I have no experience of it. Certainly Seachem claim that Flourite adds
iron to the water, which would increase GH, though probably not to the
degree you're experiencing. They make no claims (AFAIK) about other
cations (positively charged ions that contribute to GH magnitude), but
it is possible that it will release other ions.

Are you adding any nutrient supplements to the water that might
contain cations, for example potassium?

To reduce GH you need to reduce the dissolved cations in the water. If
you want it lower than your tapwater value, you're going to have to
use proton-charged ion exchange columns, reverse osmosis treated water
or distilled water.

If you only want it brought down to your tap water level, you need to
remove the source of cations that exists in your aquarium.