GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Irritation (false aquatic plants) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15897-irritation-false-aquatic-plants.html)

David Lloyd 20-04-2003 07:12 AM

Irritation (false aquatic plants)

I've identified the plants I was asking about in a seperate post
(hasn't appeared on Google yet, hence new thread).

"Fountain grass": Ophiopogon japonicus. Also known as "mondo". Not a
true aquatic plant.

"Dwarf rush": Acorus gramineus. Not a true aquatic plant.

I'm somewhat dismayed by this as the shop is as reputable as you'd be
able to tell (makes the top 20 shops in UK according to Practical
Fishkeeping magazine), is actually pictured in this book:

....as an example of a reputable shop. Their advice about fish is
superb. They won't let you buy fish that don't mix well, I've never
seen a dead or sick fish in the place. The place is scrupulously clean
and tidy.

So why are they so poor with the plant advice?

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 07:12 AM

Irritation (false aquatic plants)

"David Lloyd" wrote in message
om...
I've identified the plants I was asking about in a seperate post
(hasn't appeared on Google yet, hence new thread).

"Fountain grass": Ophiopogon japonicus. Also known as "mondo". Not a
true aquatic plant.

"Dwarf rush": Acorus gramineus. Not a true aquatic plant.

I'm somewhat dismayed by this as the shop is as reputable as you'd be
able to tell (makes the top 20 shops in UK according to Practical
Fishkeeping magazine), is actually pictured in this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...r_aps/026-4582
624-7941221

...as an example of a reputable shop. Their advice about fish is
superb. They won't let you buy fish that don't mix well, I've never
seen a dead or sick fish in the place. The place is scrupulously clean
and tidy.

So why are they so poor with the plant advice?

You ask:"why are they so poor with the plant advice?". Most likely it is because
no one knows everything. Chances are good they would appreciate it if you let
them know what you have found out. Hopefully then they would let their customers
know or they would avoid purchasing the plant in the future.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com