Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Trooper

Default dying plants, and I don't know why

Hi group!

Recently I've noticed a number of plants in my tank simply dying. They turn
brown, or in some cases, the bottom stem turns black while the tip of the
plant looks healthy. Interestingly, the Java Fern is unaffected and growing
well.

About a month ago I added a piece of driftwood from a river to my tank.
I didn't soak it a long time, or boil it or anything, just washed it well in
the
river.

That's really about the only think I've changed recently. I know it's not
always right to blame the last thing you did, so I'm trying to figure out if
it might be something else.

Anyone else have a similar problem with driftwood? Or know of reasons
why plants might just die suddenly?

I'm afraid I don't have water stats, but I will check them later.

Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Trooper

09-Nov-2002

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Paul

"Trooper" wrote in message
. ca...

[...]

What size tank and how much lighting? Do you use any fertilizer?

--
Paul

"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Trooper

What size tank and how much lighting? Do you use any fertilizer?

It's a 10 gallon tank. The lighting is pretty intense. I have two CF
bulbs, about 14 watts each. I actually raised the tank lid 4 inches
so it wouldn't be so bright in the tank. This does give me some
algae problems which I have to keep control of by hand unfortunately.

Fertilizer... not usually, but once in a while I'll add some liquid
fertilizer.
I think it's good stuff... when the plants are slightly yellow, it really
makes them turn back to a nice green. =o)

Trooper

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
E. Mito

In article , "Trooper"
writes:

It's a 10 gallon tank. The lighting is pretty intense. I have two CF
bulbs, about 14 watts each. I actually raised the tank lid 4 inches
so it wouldn't be so bright in the tank. This does give me some
algae problems which I have to keep control of by hand unfortunately.

Fertilizer... not usually, but once in a while I'll add some liquid
fertilizer.
I think it's good stuff... when the plants are slightly yellow, it really
makes them turn back to a nice green. =o)

What kind of substrate do you have and do you use a UGF? Which of your plants
are ailing? Also, do you perform regular water changes? Maybe some of the
trace elements in your water have been depleted and some fresh new tap water
might help. Otherwise, maybe you need to fertilize more regularly, and with a
high-light tank, it might also be helpful to CO2 inject...?

I'm still not a plant expert, but these are some of the things I would consider
trying.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Trooper

What kind of substrate do you have and do you use a UGF? Which of your

plants
are ailing? Also, do you perform regular water changes? Maybe some of

the
trace elements in your water have been depleted and some fresh new tap

water
might help. Otherwise, maybe you need to fertilize more regularly, and

with a
high-light tank, it might also be helpful to CO2 inject...?

I have regular aquarium gravel as a substrate which I understand is not
the best. I do regular water changes, perhaps not as often as I should
but I try to keep on top of things.

I do have a DIY CO2 going, which works great. I'll try doing more water
changes and perhaps a bit more fertilizer.

And if things don't improve I'll take out the driftwood... =@

Thanks
Trooper