Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ian Mather

Default Large tank Leveling

I'm in the process of setting up my new 150 Gallon Planted tank. 72X18X24

I've noticed a 1/8 of an inch slope along the width of the tank and a 1/8 of
an inch slop along the width. First is this something to be worried about?
If so, what's the best way to level the tank?

The tank is sitting in an All-Glass stand which supports the tank all along
the edges, but the bottom area is open.

Any suggestions/comments would be great.

TIA
Ian

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Yes, definitely worry about it. If the stand isn't level there will be
uneven stress on the glass walls of the tank and on the structure of the
stand itself.

You can use carpenters wedges. They're cheap little pieces of scrap plywood
which are used for leveling when installing cabinetry and such. You wedge
pieces in until the unit is level and then snap off, cut, or otherwise break
off the excess. On finished cabinetry this is done from the inside of the
unit so the wedges don't show but, as I recollect, The AllGlass stands have
a fiberboard floor or some-such. You might want to pop the floor off if the
wedge stubs are going to show?

I've been known to wedge coins under the corners, albeit not on a setup that
weighs nearly 2000 lbs.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

. ca...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Nsty N8

I've noticed a 1/8 of an inch slope along the width of the tank and a 1/8 of
an inch slop along the width. First is this something to be worried about?
If so, what's the best way to level the tank?

The tank is sitting in an All-Glass stand which supports the tank all along
the edges, but the bottom area is open.

Any suggestions/comments would be great.

TIA
Ian

What I use to level my tanks is lexan acrylic.
I purchased 4"x6"x1/16" strips at Home Depot for a couple dollars. I then
scored the pieces to size, then snap them . The pieces are clear,and very
strong.

N8
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:15:11 GMT, "kush" wrote:

Yes, definitely worry about it. If the stand isn't level there will be
uneven stress on the glass walls of the tank and on the structure of the
stand itself.

1/8 of an inch across 72" definitely isn't going to hurt anything, and
I doubt 1/8 of an inch across 18" is even going to be a problem.

I've got about 1/2" slope across my 48" tank.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ian Mather

Thanks Chuck, I didn't think it would be too bad, but to play it safe, based
on someone elses reponse I found some acrylic pieces in my basement which I
used to level it.

Now on to figuring out what I'm going to do to light up this big boy...with
as little cash as possible.

Ian

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Foes

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:47:29 GMT, "Ian Mather"
wrote:

All my tanks are leveled up with match books, a box of match books is
about a $1. they seem to work good, but mine are all on carpet floors
and you can't really see the base of the stand/table, you may wish to
find something a little more visually pleasing. However Chuck is
probably right and it isn't anything to worry about. But If you can
level it without too much trouble I would do it anyways.

Foes

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:26:26 GMT, "Ian Mather"
wrote:

Now on to figuring out what I'm going to do to light up this big boy...with
as little cash as possible.

Looks like it will be tricky.

I'd probably investigate some T8 tubes over-driven with an electronic
ballast. Dig thru the newsgroup messages for some of Wayne Jones'
messages on the topic. Very intesting, and it seems very cost
effective.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
R.C. Keely

However Chuck is probably right and it isn't anything to worry
about. But If you can level it without too much trouble I would do it
anyways.

I don't know how people can look at a tank with an uneven waterline... it
completely destroys the aesthetic effect for me ;-) But I suppose the rim
partly hides it if you fill it high enough.

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ian Mather

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case the tank has a full wood
cap which hides the water line.

Ian

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:10:56 GMT, "R.C. Keely"
wrote:

I don't know how people can look at a tank with an uneven waterline... it
completely destroys the aesthetic effect for me ;-) But I suppose the rim
partly hides it if you fill it high enough.

Unless it's MASSIVELY uneven, it will be completely hidden behind the
tank rim. If it were too uneven for the rim to hide it, then I'd
strongly suggest fixing it.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Chuck Gadd

wrote:

I don't know how people can look at a tank with an uneven waterline... it
completely destroys the aesthetic effect for me ;-) But I suppose the rim
partly hides it if you fill it high enough.

I can't stand seeing a waterline in a tank, even or not. Fill it up
so that the water level is at least up to the rim.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ian Mather

Well I got it level and filled without any problems. With the pine cap on
top, the water line is completely hidden. If you want an idea of what the
tank looks like...see the attached URL..Only mine is black.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/st..._cherry_4d.gif

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:49:58 GMT, "kush" wrote:

If it were in MY house, I'd want 1500 lbs. of water in a glass tank pretty
darn level.

But 1/8th of an inch over 6 feet is pretty darn level, less than 1
hundredth of a degree off level.

And 1/8th of an inch over 18" is just three tenths of a degree off
level.

Both seem pretty darn level.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Yes, but 150 gallons of water flowing across your living room floor is
pretty darn wet.

Enough. I'm done. Horse has been flogged.