Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Robin Pereira

Default Maracyn (erythromycin) and Blue-Green Algae

Hello Everyone:

I have read the details posted at the Krib regarding the use of erythromycin
to eradicate B-G Algae. There are differing opinions regarding the dose
required to do the job. Some say use the dosage as per the Maracyn package
while others suggest one half the recommended dose. The Maracyn package I
bought recommends 1 tablet(200mg)/10gallons of water to treat "Body Fungus"
infections.

Has anyone on the list used Maracyn to eliminate B-G Algae and if so what
dosage did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Robin P.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Hi, Robin. I just started using it in my 20-gallon yesterday, so if you can
wait a few days, I'll let you know how it went. I'm using 1 tablet@200mg/20
gallon, or half the recommended dosage.

kush

ble.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Jamie D

"Robin Pereira" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hello Everyone:

I have read the details posted at the Krib regarding the use of

erythromycin
to eradicate B-G Algae. There are differing opinions regarding the dose
required to do the job. Some say use the dosage as per the Maracyn package
while others suggest one half the recommended dose. The Maracyn package I
bought recommends 1 tablet(200mg)/10gallons of water to treat "Body

Fungus"
infections.

Has anyone on the list used Maracyn to eliminate B-G Algae and if so what
dosage did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Robin P.

I just started using it in my daughter's 10 gallon two days ago at the
recommended dosage (200mg per 10 gallons). The B-G algae seems to be
darkening and flaking off, and the nasty B-G algae smell is just about gone.
The real test will be after the full 5 days are up and whether the tank
stays free of B-G algae.

Jamie
~

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM

"Robin Pereira" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Hello Everyone:

I have read the details posted at the Krib regarding the use of erythromycin
to eradicate B-G Algae. There are differing opinions regarding the dose
required to do the job. Some say use the dosage as per the Maracyn package
while others suggest one half the recommended dose. The Maracyn package I
bought recommends 1 tablet(200mg)/10gallons of water to treat "Body Fungus"
infections.

Has anyone on the list used Maracyn to eliminate B-G Algae and if so what
dosage did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Robin P.

Use the 200mg per 10 gal.

But this takes a few days to do. This does not cure the problem.
It only kills it for time being.

Turning the lights out and covering the tank so that it is completely
dark with a blanket/trash bag etc works in 3 days. Doesn't cost a
thing.
Do a 50% water change, remove as much of it as you can and add 1/4
KNO3 per 35 gals of water, then do whatever treatment you decide on.
When it's done, do another 50% water change and add the same dosage of
KNO3.
Keep up on nutrients, filter cleaning from now on. It or some other
algae will always come back if you do not take care of the plants and
have them grow well.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Maracyn Update: Today is day 5.

I've been dosing with 1-200 mg tablet daily. I expected to see the B-G
algae "flaking" off, but that doesn't seem to be happening unless the fish
are gobbling it all up (unlikely). But at least half the mass of nastiness
has somehow disappeared. There are still strongholds and redoubts in amongst
the shadows of the plants and rocks, particularly webbed between the strands
of monofilament where I have riccia tied to stones.

The tank is an unfiltered 20-gallon long with a water pump and CO2 injector
embedded under the gravel in the center of the tank, and 55-watt compact
fluorescent lighting. It's planted primarily with sag. subulata and riccia,
and is inhabited by two botias, six zebra danios, and the seven largest
tiger barbs in all christendom.

Because there is no filter, the tank has become very cloudy with some very
funky "swirling mists" effects around the water pump. I did a 50% water
change yesterday which cleared things up for a few hours. I tried to put a
few red ramshorn snails in to blitz the B-G but, as usual, the botias had
eaten them before I'd even left the room. I planted some hygro. corymbosa I
had pruned out of another tank but, as usual, the botias had dug them out
and they were floating at the top of the tank before I'd even left the room.
Perhaps the botias are my REAL problem.

So, all in all, I'm disappointed that things aren't moving along faster but
also hopeful as some improvement is visible.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Jamie D

kush wrote in message
[...]

I have just completed treating the b/g algae in my daughter's 10 gallon with
Maracyn. The B/G algae looks like it's entirely gone, and there are minute
white flecks lingering which I suspect might be dead b/g algae - as you say,
it seems to have otherwise disappeared.

I got the swirling cloudy stuff as well - I figured it was a bacteria
bloom. I tested the water - ammonia and nitrites at 0. Today, I did a 50%
water change and added some carbon to the filter to remove the remainder of
the maracyn.. Later on I tested the water - Ammonia 0.12 ppm, nitrites 0,
nitrates at around 3ppm. I expected there to be some die-iff of the bio
filter, and additional ammonia from dying b/g algae, so I'm not too worried
about the elevated ammonia yet. We'll see if it settles back to zero after a
couple of days. Meanwhile I added a bunch of limnophila, which will
hopefully soak up nutrients so as to prevent the b/g algae from returning.
I'll keep you posted.

Jamie
~

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Jamie D wrote in message
newsTVA9.23825$NH2.941@sccrnsc01...

I got the swirling cloudy stuff as well - I figured it was a bacteria
bloom.

Mmmm, I was sort of wondering if it might not be a bunch of gram-positive
beasties celebrating the sudden absence of competition.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Richard Otte

Tom,
Did you mean to add 1/4 tablespoon or teaspoon of KNO3 per 35 gallons?
Thanks,
Ric

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM

Richard Otte wrote in message ...
Tom,
Did you mean to add 1/4 tablespoon or teaspoon of KNO3 per 35 gallons?
Thanks,
Ric

That will add 6.3 ppm of NO3 and about 4ppm of K to the tank from
whatever is there(which very often is 0 if you have Cyano). If you
want to up this say to 1/4 per 20 gallons, that will give about 11ppm.
Anyway, adding something between 5-10ppm or so if what you want to do.
The specific target is not so critical. Plants will assimilate the NO3
during this period and have enough reserves to make it through
extended blackouts, BGA, don't but are fast to recolonize if things
have not been corrected.
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Maracyn update, day 8: 50%+ water change and no sign of the hateful BGA. I
vacuumed my gravel and pruned my plants, fertilized and added some bacteria
culture, just because I had some. I threw in a few handfuls of snails and
banished the botias to a 2-1/2 gallon tank full of terrified feeder guppies
(or at least it *was* full this afternoon).

Do y'all mind if I post an "after" photo here? My server doesn't carry the
binaries group. I wish I had taken a "before" photo, too, but just a week
ago I was so discouraged I was ready to just throw the whole mess away.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
BruceKGeist

I am sure Tom will reply himself, but he meant 1/4 Teaspoon..

FYI, there is a dosing calculator at
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

-Bruce Geist

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Velvet

"kush" wrote in message

Do y'all mind if I post an "after" photo here? My server doesn't carry the
binaries group. I wish I had taken a "before" photo, too, but just a week
ago I was so discouraged I was ready to just throw the whole mess away.

kush

Kush, I'm sure someone else has answered the photo question, but once again,
I would like to flag to the people that use the binaries group for the
aquaria groups - the reasons the ISP's won't all carry it is because it's
not listed on the ISC groups. Groups have to conform to certain naming
conventions and standards, and this one hasn't been requested to be added to
the ISC list, from what I can tell. Now, I've brought this up a few times,
and it keeps being met with a 'our isp carries it, so it's not a problem'
attitude. Very frustrating for those of us that can't get this binaries
group.

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Velvet

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I would like to flag to the people that use the binaries group for the
aquaria groups - the reasons the ISP's won't all carry it is because it's
not listed on the ISC groups. Groups have to conform to certain naming
conventions and standards, and this one hasn't been requested to be added

the ISC list, from what I can tell. Now, I've brought this up a few

times,
and it keeps being met with a 'our isp carries it, so it's not a problem'
attitude. Very frustrating for those of us that can't get this binaries
group.

What, exactly, do you want us to do about this? Keep in mind that many of

us
have no clue about the inner workings of Usenet. Are we supposed to

boycott
the binaries groups until they change their name? Lobby your ISP to add

it?
Ask ISC (whatever that is) to list it, even though it doesn't conform?

If you want a response, give specifics, including addresses, etc.

Personally, I much prefer the web for images, but I'm willing to help, if

you
tell me what I can do.

Leigh

I've no idea, it was just my early morning gripe. If it doesn't conform,
then there's bugger all I (or anyone else) can do to get it listed with the
ISC. I was hoping that since someone in the aquaria groups seemed to have
proposed using the binaries group to post images, that after having flagged
the problems that many people's ISP's won't carry it, they could have
investigated why it wasn't listed with the ISC. I only know what I do from
asking my ISP why they won't carry it - I'm not au fait with the inner
workings of the net to that extent either, which is what makes it
frustrating on my part.

I guess I'll have to dig around and find out just why it's not listed, and
see what's involved in GETTING it listed.

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
-=

On 18 Nov 2002 02:49:28 GMT, (BruceKGeist) wrote:

I am sure Tom will reply himself, but he meant 1/4 Teaspoon..

FYI, there is a dosing calculator at
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

-Bruce Geist

No problem ... Thanks.... I was just getting a little frustrated
following the thread and could not figure out what he meant, (brain
freeze - NO COFFEE), so I just had to ask : (...

p.s. I've used Chucks calculator and site many times and still do. Great
site!!