GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cloudy water !!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15926-cloudy-water.html)

Francisco Caamaño 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Cloudy water !!!!!

I setup my aquarium and the water was ok, now the pH is high and the water
is cloudy, here is a table in excel by day of every meturement and things I
had add to it...
http://www3.sympatico.ca/c1000mg\aqu...l-nov2002.html if anyone
knows what I did wrong, or is this normal ????

Thanks...

kush 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Cloudy water !!!!!

It's not unusual. I usually get a little bloom of something or the other
within the first week of setting up a new tank. It will probably clear in a
few days.

I think I might be inclined to hold off on the water changes and additives
and let things stabilize.

.. .

Empty 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Cloudy water !!!!!

"Francisco Caamaño" wrote in
:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/c1000mg\aqu...l-nov2002.html

Well, it looks like the tank has been up for a week. That probably means
the cloudiness is bacterial bloom, which is normal and good as it means you
are cycling.

Do you have fish in the tank? If so you may want to do a few water changes
(depending on your ammonia and nitrite levels). See faq.thekrib.com for
more on cycling and bacterial bloom.

~Empty
--
"I'm constantly forgetting my own phone number. Quite simply,
it's because I never call myself. (I used to, but I was never

Francisco Caamaño 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Cloudy water !!!!!

I don't have any fish, I just put a picture of the aquarium today, to show
it, but the cloudy water doesn't show as much as I see it here
try the page http://www3.sympatico.ca/c1000mg\aqu...l-nov2002.html

Thanks

Velvet 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Cloudy water !!!!!

Since there's no fish in there, you *could* try using a flocculant (there's
one specifically for use in aquariums called 'filter clear' by Interpet) to
see if it's tiny particles in the water causing the cloudiness. It'll cause
them to clump together, and it's good to do before the fish go in, in case
it irritates the fishes gills at all. Once the particles are larger, they
will either settle out to the substrate, or be trapped in the filter. You
can normally see it working within an hour of it being added, but it might
take longer if the particles are very tiny. Alternatively, if the gravel
was new, it might just be dust from that, which the filterclear would also
take care of.

I find my tanks are normally cloudy for a few days after being first set up,
but I go straight in and cycle with fish. Normally by the end of week one,
the water is crystal clear again (and sometimes within 4 days).

Good luck!

Velvet