Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Jim Miller

Default Anubias Bloom?

I've got what appears to be a flower bud on a long stalk heading upward from
my apparently healthy anubias nana.

Do these end up emersed? What color should I expect?

tnx
jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
BruceKGeist

It should open to a white/yellow-white bloom-- sort of banana shaped. Pretty
striking.

-Bruce Geist

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
BruceKGeist

My snails and clown loaches always eat my
anubias flowers.

I have no or very few snails left in my tank because I have clown loaches..

What type of snails do you have? -Bruce

(I think I have the scared-they're-gonna-get-eaten-by-clown-loaches kind!
Seriously, I actually think I have a very few rams horn snails in the tank, but
I rarely see them except when I look in the evening-- i.e., when my nightlight
is the only light on in the tank.)

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Jim Miller

thanks all!

i guess good things come from good light...along with filamentous algae.

i'm getting the algae under control however and discovered the blossom shaft
rising after i cleared out a serious blob of algae.

i've got my little system3 refitted with a ahs reflector and a 9w 64K bulb
and it is doing great with diy injected into the filter intake.

tnx
jtm

--
"LeighMo" wrote in message
I've got what appears to be a flower bud on a long stalk heading upward

from
my apparently healthy anubias nana.

Congratulations!

Do these end up emersed?

No. The plant doesn't seem to realize it's submersed, and will produce
flowers
underwater.

What color should I expect?

White.

The flower looks a little like a lily at first, then as it opens further, it
starts looking like a miniature white anthurium.

Lots of critters like to eat anubias flowers. (The spadix -- that
phallic-looking part in the middle.) My snails and clown loaches always eat
my
anubias flowers.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Jim Miller

hygrophilia, vals, java moss, crypts and some newly planted glosso.

busy place!

jtm

--
"LeighMo" wrote in message
i guess good things come from good light...along with filamentous algae.

You don't need good light to get anubias to bloom. Mine used to bloom all
the
time, when I had only an ancient 15 watt bulb over a 29 gallon tank.

Hopefully you have other plants besides anubias in your tank, or that
explains
the algae. :-)

Leigh