GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Edible Aquarium Plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15938-edible-aquarium-plants.html)

Pnetspeak 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

This might be one of the most bizarre question ever asked in this newsgroup but
I sure would like to find out if anyone knows if any of the plants that we use
in aquariums might be edible?

Graham Ramsay 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

"Pnetspeak" wrote
This might be one of the most bizarre question ever asked in this newsgroup but
I sure would like to find out if anyone knows if any of the plants that we use
in aquariums might be edible?

Bacopa always smells nice when I trim it.
Water Chestnut is, if course edible:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/edible.html

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Watercress? Though I've never heard of anybody growing it in a tropical
aquarium, it does get used in ponds.

--
Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

[email protected] 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

(Pnetspeak) wrote in message ...
This might be one of the most bizarre question ever asked in this newsgroup but
I sure would like to find out if anyone knows if any of the plants that we use
in aquariums might be edible?

Rice, Pennywort, Taro, there's a number of articles on various
species.
Pennywort is one of the most used in Asia for a drink.
Deer are also fond of the leaves. Algae: Spirulina, Chorella,
Porphyra(sushi) etc. Chances are, you've had some algae product
today(toothpaste has algal products in it)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Nsty N8 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

This might be one of the most bizarre question ever asked in this newsgroup
but
I sure would like to find out if anyone knows if any of the plants that we

use
in aquariums might be edible?

You might NOT want to eat wisteria. I had read at a cat related website that
the plant was toxic. Is there a houseplant with this common name also?

N8

R.C. Keely 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Nsty N8 wrote:

You might NOT want to eat wisteria. I had read at a cat related
website that
the plant was toxic. Is there a houseplant with this common name also?

I guess you don't garden much above the waterline ;-)

Wisteria is a deciduous vine that climbs to 25 feet... on some cultivars
the flower clusters alone are 3 ft long. Might be a houseplant for the
adventurous :-)

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.

Wasted Nyght 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Watercress? Though I've never heard of anybody growing it in a tropical
aquarium, it does get used in ponds.

I bought some straight from a grocery store and was able to grow it really
well in a low light environment. A word to the wise though- it came complete
with parasites, even from the grocery. I should have been more paranoid. It
does work though.

As long as we're on the subject, I believe duckweed is a perfectly edible
aquarium plant/pest.

Aquatic-store.com 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Bocapa carolina is one

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-store.com

Pnetspeak 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Thank you for your responses Graham, Victor, "Wasted Nyght", Tom Barr, "Nsty
N8", Rebecca, and Marcus! I really though I was going to be flamed on this one.

I am excited about the prospect of trying out a dish that contains any of the
plants you mentioned. You do not happen to know of any good recepies?

Warm regards,

Par Johnsson

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Pnetspeak wrote:
I am excited about the prospect of trying out a dish that contains any of the
plants you mentioned. You do not happen to know of any good recepies?

I love watercress mashed potatoes. Basically, just make your favorite
potatoes with butter and add roughly chopped watercress right before
serving. Delicious!

Aquatic-store.com 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Not sure but the bocapa is sold in health food stores. You may want
to see if any of the staff have any ideas there

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

Pnetspeak 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Victor, I think I may just try to grow watercress and then try it on mashed
potatoes as you suggest.

Par Johnsson

Pnetspeak 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Great, thanks Marcus.

McQ 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

Over here in Asia, we have watercress soup made with pork ribs and dried
dates.
The soup is drunk as a medicinal concoction. :-)

Moontanman 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Edible Aquarium Plants?

This might be one of the most bizarre question ever asked in this
newsgroup
but
I sure would like to find out if anyone knows if any of the plants that we

use
in aquariums might be edible?

You might NOT want to eat wisteria. I had read at a cat related website that
the plant was toxic. Is there a houseplant with this common name also?

N8

Are there any aquarium plants that can be used as drugs? I can just see the
police raiding a fish tank ;-)
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me