GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trimming root hairs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15945-trimming-root-hairs.html)

redled 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Trimming root hairs?

I have some plants (mostly unknown, the ones in question are stalked with red
leaves, also some thai lilys) that are established now in my aquarium and have
good roots in the substrate (profile/laterite). Anyways, many of them have
unsightly roots coming out of the plant everywhere as well as under the
substrate. Is it OK to just trim them off? I have a feeling they will not
grow back as the "real" roots are doing well - I've replanted some of them,
and they had 6" elaborate roots in the substrate. I think that the plants
have found their source of nutrients with these roots and will not need to
spew forth new roots in an effort to find more. Is this right? I couldn't
find info on this and just wanted to make sure I wouldn't set back the growth
of these plants. Thanks!

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John