Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Robin Pereira

Default Is root tab fertilization enough for swords?

I use Tropica Master Grow as well as the root tabs.

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
There are mostly sword plants in my tank right now. Since they are mostly

root
feeders I started to use Flourish Tabs and I wonder if I still should use

some
other water column fertilization as well?

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"Robin Pereira" wrote
I use Tropica Master Grow as well as the root tabs.

If it is not absolutely necessary I would rather use only root tablet
fertilizers and no water column fertilizers. My reasoning (perhaps wrong) is
that if there is less fertilizers in the water column there will be lower
likelihood of algae problems and since my plants are now mostly swords (which
feed mainly through their roots) this would not have a negative impact on them.
(?)

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message able.rogers.co
If it is not absolutely necessary I would rather use only root tablet
fertilizers and no water column fertilizers. My reasoning (perhaps wrong) is
that if there is less fertilizers in the water column there will be lower
likelihood of algae problems and since my plants are now mostly swords (which
feed mainly through their roots) this would not have a negative impact on them.
(?)

You will get algae when the plants don't grow well.
Healthy plant = poor algae growth.

Providing both, rather than just one will yield the best plant growth.

You gain very little algae control by that method(substrate only) IME.
Plants need far more nutrients than algae to live and grow well.

Swords and many plants grow above the water line/dry land. So they
will have 100% of the nutrients from the soil, under water they can
get nutrients from either place. Recent studies of 25 aquatic
plants(no Echinordorus species though) show they will take the
nutrients from water column when given a choice and reduce root
uptake. When the water column is poor in nutrients they will allocate
more nutrient uptake from the roots. Having many of those plants on
the list of 25 and also the swords in the same tank, they did have any
differences in responding to the nutrient feeding methods. I would say
they are the same as the other plants.

So if you keep your tank's water column or try to, then they will take
it in from the roots.

If you keep the water column well supplied with nutrients, they will
not take much in from the troots.

My swords grew super with only water column nutrient and no
laterite/tabs etc for many years. Some iron substrate source is
helpful though IME.
This is true from all plants planted in the substrate.

Saying they "prefer fed root nutrients" cannot be the case if they do
great in water column dosing also..............actually a little
better when the iron was added than any substrate fert's only set up
I've seen or done.

I would say that they _prefer_ good consistent water column nutrients,
and some iron in the substrate. At least that produces the best
healthiest looking growth should that be your gauge.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
kush

Nice post, thank you.

I'd just add that I use ugf's and plain gravel in all my tanks and, contrary
to popular wisdom, I grow beautiful swords. I place a tablet under each
plant when I place them but, as you might expect with a ugf, the tablets
dissolve very quickly.

One technique I use, which started out simply as a design scheme, is to cut
the bottoms off clay pots and press them into the gravel with between 1" and
3" exposed above the gravel. I pack peat and a couple of tablets in, place
a sword in the pot, and fill with fine gravel. I've grown some awesome
ozelots by this method. The sword becomes pot bound eventually and grows
very compact.

Anyway, my $0.02 U.S.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Marvin Hlavac

" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for answering something that has been on my mind for the
past couple of weeks. Starting tomorrow morning I will go back to adding TMG.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
kush

I'm going to brave the flames and post a binary under the "maracyn" thread
which shows a red-spot ozelot in a nutrient-packed clay pot. Unfortunately,
it has just been savagely cut-back due to a bad bout with BGA so you kinda
have to use your imagination.

kush