Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
kush

Default Maracyn (erythromycin) and... the usenet

All I know is that I can subscribe to hundreds and hundreds of binaries
groups which depict sexual preferences, positions, deviations and
orientations I had never even imagined, and that's in addition to the
hundreds and hundreds which I spent my youth obsessed with. But no fishies.

kush

Ross Vandegrift wrote in message
In article , Velvet

wrote:
I've no idea, it was just my early morning gripe. If it doesn't

conform,
then there's bugger all I (or anyone else) can do to get it listed with

the
ISC.

No, I don't think that's th problem; alt.binaries.aquaria seems
perfectly conformant to the naming conventions to me. The problem is
seperate -

1) Lots of people don't carry the alt.* newsgroups at all - they're
unimaginably huge.
2) alt.binaries.* makes up the vast majority of that traffic, so lots of
people just drop alt.binaries.

While I don't know the Usenet standards as well as I know some others,
these are the reasons I've most often heard cited. And as a sysadmin,
they make perfect sense.

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Velvet

Likewise here. So long as the group
(alt.binaries.somethingorotherbutnotaquaria) is on the ISC list, my ISP will
carry it - as long as it's not overwhelmingly heavy on traffic, or pointless
reposts. It has various alt.binaries.somethign groups, but not the aquaria
one. I looked into it a bit more, and it seems that a message has to be
sent, proposing formation of a group, then allowing a week for 'discussion'
of it, then another message which might actually form the group. Then, the
group propagates around the net, but only if the formation message was
actually formatted and contains the right information. Groups can be
deleted in a similar fashion, it seems. I've emailed an address of someone
who is supposed to maintain the FAQ for the ISC stuff, but as yet haven't
heard back. And to be honest, from what I've heard, a plea of 'this has
happened, please give me a clue what to do next' is frowned on by the usenet
gods/godesses. I'll wait a few days but I have to say I'm not sure I'm
prepared to attempt propagating this group around as a 'new' one, to see if
that does the trick. No way do I want hordes of flames from people that DO
know what they're doing when they see my incompetant attempts.

Velvet