Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
JUNE WILLIAMS

Default ? about snails and plants

Are there any other snails besides MTS that can be kept in a plants tank
that won't eat the plants?

Thanks, Matt

Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
redled

In article , oSpam (LeighMo) wrote:
Are there any other snails besides MTS that can be kept in a plants tank
that won't eat the plants?

IME, almost all snails can. I have little red ramshorn snails, large and small
species of pond snail, apple snails, and MTS in my planted tanks, and they
don't eat the plants.

Snails that should be avoided in planted tanks are the "Columbian" ramshorms
(the big ones that get to be 1" or more across), and some species of
apple/mystery snail.

The apple snail you want for a planted tank is Pomacea bridgesii. See
www.applesnail.net for info on how to tell species of apple snail apart. (You
can't tell by the common name or the color; you have to look at the shape of
the shell.)

Leigh

I have a banded ramshorn, over 2" across and he won't touch plants. He only
eats algae from broad leafed plants and doesn't leave a scratch. If only I
could find more.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John
Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
kush

I have hundreds (thousands?) or little, red ramshorn snails. One or two of
them pig out on my Sagittaria subulata. Who can say what makes a good snail
go bad?

redled wrote in message
.. .
In article ,

Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
R.C. Keely

I rarely see anybody mention trapdoor snails, though they are commonly used
for ponds. They don't get as big as apple snails, don't lay eggs all over
the place (they give live birth to pea-sized snails one at a time, so no
snail infestations in my filters) and eat all kinds of algae off the plants
without harming them. I have them in a couple of my tanks and love them.

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.