Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Bob A

Default lighter wood in tank

This is not really plant-related, but its in preparing to put in plants. I
have a couple of small driftwood pieces, and my brother has found a very
nice, long piece of lighter wood (fat lighter) the type that is used to
start fires. It is very attractive, and he says it would be fine in my
tank. But I'm concerned that it may have chemicals in it which would leech
into the water.

Does anyone know?

thanks,

bob in north carolina

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
wiggywacker

As far as I know, it's not good to put normal wood into an aquarium, because
at least long term it will start to rot. You can get bogwood or petrified
wood, which looks stunning, and is heavy.
It's not worth risking anything unless you're sure.

Check out "Mopani African Black Wood"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Robert H

"Bob A" wrote in message ...
This is not really plant-related, but its in preparing to put in plants. I
have a couple of small driftwood pieces, and my brother has found a very
nice, long piece of lighter wood (fat lighter) the type that is used to
start fires. It is very attractive, and he says it would be fine in my
tank. But I'm concerned that it may have chemicals in it which would leech
into the water.

Does anyone know?

thanks,

bob in north carolina

It will be fine except it will float...it will never sink no matter
what you do to it.

Robert H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Rick

"Robert H" wrote in message
om...
"Bob A" wrote in message

This is not really plant-related, but its in preparing to put in plants.

have a couple of small driftwood pieces, and my brother has found a very
nice, long piece of lighter wood (fat lighter) the type that is used to
start fires. It is very attractive, and he says it would be fine in my
tank. But I'm concerned that it may have chemicals in it which would

leech
into the water.

Does anyone know?

thanks,

bob in north carolina

It will be fine except it will float...it will never sink no matter
what you do to it.

Robert H
http://www.aquabotanic.com

you got that right. I have several pieces of driftwood in various tanks .
The wood came from fresh and salt water. I pressured washed it, boiled it
and drilled many many holes in the wood. I put it in the tank ( no prob.
with the fish) and months and months later unless it is weighed down with
rock it floats right back to the surface. Much cheaper than the bog wood at
the LFS though.

Rick

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Bob A

I put it in my bathtub and it sank to the bottom in about three hours. I'm
not going to use it though, we had to saw off the end for it to fit, and you
can smell a strong odor where it is freshly sawn. I figure anything that
catches fire that easity can't be good. Thanks folks.

bob

It will be fine except it will float...it will never sink no matter
what you do to it.

Robert H
http://www.aquabotanic.com

fess up- how many do you have? (on a lighter note...) Diane Mancino Orchids 3 20-07-2003 11:08 PM
fess up- how many do you have? (on a lighter note...) Diane Mancino Orchids 0 20-07-2003 12:57 AM
In a lighter vein Phred Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Leaves lighter green and developing a hole (Anubias, Swords) Darwin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
In a lighter vein Phred Plant Science 5 15-03-2003 03:44 PM