Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Exciting night!

Well, my lazy Thanksgiving night got a lot more exciting than I really
wanted. My son and his friends were playing downstairs where the
tanks are, when suddenly my son came running up the stairs and looked
VERY shocked. One of his friends was screwing around, and broke my
29g tank. Water was pouring out, nice big mess.

Luckily I had a 10g tank sitting right next to it with no fish in it.
So, I moved as much water as I could save, and netted out the fish
while my wife and son tried to control the flooding.

Rather than replace the 29, I'm going to be giving the fish from the
tank to a friend who has a 40g tank that's been sitting empty for a
few weeks now. Their tank only has the stock lighting over it, so I
won't be able to move all the plants, but I'm going to try a few java
ferns and anubias.

And I'm VERY thankful that it wasn't the 75g that broke!

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Paulio629

Major Bummer Chuck!
Last thing I want to do in the middle a self induced Turkey coma is handle a
mess like that.
Glad to hear no body was hurt. I have seen some crazy tank disasters in my
younger days working in the LFS.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
R.C. Keely

Chuck Gadd wrote:

Luckily I had a 10g tank sitting right next to it with no fish in it.
So, I moved as much water as I could save, and netted out the fish
while my wife and son tried to control the flooding.

I had to laugh here... I have bubbling 10 gallon tanks all over the house
with no fish in them -- sometimes I don't remember what the heck IS
supposed to be growing in them, but it's nice to know they'll be handy if a
tank gets broken ;-)

Hope you got it cleaned up okay with no (permanent) damage to anything. My
house is all carpet which would make it really nasty.

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
BruceKGeist

I have a large tank in my den-- 135 gallon-- where my 4 year old and her
friends always play.

I have wondered how often a tank breaks! Yeeicks! (Maybe I should have gotten
that acrylic tank I was thinking of instead of the glass tank I have..) I have
an emergency wet/dry vac, just in case. It probably would not help to much. :0

-Bruce

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Chuck Gadd

On 03 Dec 2002 12:29:14 GMT, (BruceKGeist) wrote:

I have wondered how often a tank breaks! Yeeicks! (Maybe I should have gotten
that acrylic tank I was thinking of instead of the glass tank I have..) I have
an emergency wet/dry vac, just in case. It probably would not help to much. :0

In this case, my son's friend was waving around a VERY heavy magnet,
and it slipped out of his hand.

I was fortunate to have a ready 10g tank that I could move the fish
to.

The damage to the glass was pretty severe, with several small pieces
of glass completely missing from the face of the tank, and lots of
large cracks running across the tank.

I was able to slow the escaping water by placing a piece of thin
plastic inside the tank covering the the damaged area. That changed
it from water shooting across the room to water trickling down the
front of the tank and stand.

And I'm happy to report that my friends tank is now set up with all
the fish in it, and it's looking pretty good. This tank formerly had
neon pink, green, and blue gravel, a castle, and a UGF filter with two
powerheads that created so much current that the previous inhabitants
would get blown all over the tank.

We removed the UGF, replaced the substrate with the flourite I had
used in the 29g, and some extra I had in a bucket, and added
driftwood, and a few low-light plants, and the powerfilter from my
29g.

I also changed the lighting from a single 20w tube to two 20w tubes,
and I'll probably add one more 20w tube in a week or so. I am not
going to have them mess with CO2.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Brian

In article ,
Chuck Gadd wrote:

Well, my lazy Thanksgiving night got a lot more exciting than I really
wanted. My son and his friends were playing downstairs where the
tanks are, when suddenly my son came running up the stairs and looked
VERY shocked. One of his friends was screwing around, and broke my
29g tank. Water was pouring out, nice big mess.

That doesn't sound like a fun way to spend a holiday. I'll bet your son
didn't feel so great about it, either.

Brian Heller

It is easier to tame wild beasts
than to conquer the human mind.