GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What do you clean your rocks with? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16017-what-do-you-clean-your-rocks.html)

Jim Wunderlich 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

What do you clean your rocks with?

Just wondering if everyone out there just uses water to prep rocks for a
tank. I bought my rocks at a building supply store so they are rather
dirty.

I've heard of people using vinegar, is this true?

Thanks!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

What do you clean your rocks with?

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:44:23 GMT, Jim Wunderlich
wrote:

Just wondering if everyone out there just uses water to prep rocks for a
tank. I bought my rocks at a building supply store so they are rather
dirty.

I personally would rinse them very well to remove dirt. I've used
rocks from a local river, and added them directly to the tank without
any rinsing or soaking.

I've heard of people using vinegar, is this true?

You can drip a little vinegar on the rocks to see if the rock is going
to dissolve and raise the hardness of the water. If the vinegar
causes fizzing on the rock, then it will dissolve over time.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Tasslehoff 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

What do you clean your rocks with?

I just use a dedicated toothbrush ie not the one I use to clean my teeth
with, for cleaning my rocks and getting into the nooks and crannies of my
aquarium..