Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
alex crouvier

Default lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow?

I have this low form planted at the center of the tank with 4 watt/gallon
15-gallon tank. My Hygro Polysperma and Difformis are growing so rapidly I
coud actually prune the top off and planted half of my other tanks. My Vals
is doing fine sending 1 new daughter plant every other week! My anubias are
growing new light green tips....But my poor lobelia is wasting
away...bizarre. Unless I don't know enough about this plant. Anyone has good
tip how to plant a carpet-like lobelia front?

Tank parameters:
4 watt/gallon
10 hours duration
10-12ppm DIY CO2
6.5pH
dH 3
26 deg C
Nitrite 0.3

Fishes: Boseman's Rainbow, Firemouth (juvenile), 2 Aphyosemion Killies, a
bunch of Ottos
, 1 SAE, and 1 twig catfish

Thanks!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Richard J. Sexton

I can't believe anybody can actually get this to grow in
an aquarium. We have a river that runs though out back yard
and Lobelia cardinalis grows all along the river bank and
in the lawn near there.

There's so much of it I run it over with the lawn tractor when I
cut the lawn; the entire banks of the river blaze red around August
when it flowers, but, I never see it growing in the river. Other plants
I've seen in the water he val or sag, what might be some type of
Ludwigia, riccia (!) (fluitans and triscula), hornwort and a couple
of species of Potamogeton.

I havn't seen it grow in the water, or even as a bog plant on
the banks in the water like Alisma. I've only seen it grow
out of the water, up on top of the riverbanks.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org