Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Mike K

Default Garra Pingi Pingi

Does anybody have this fish? It's quite pretty but I've never heard of it
before. And at $13.50 a piece, would like to here some views before
purchasing!

Take a look he

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...s.htm#AlgaeEat
ers

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Tony Farnam

AKA Pingi Logsucker... I think I paid more for mine.
My LFS owner calls this fish "The King of the Algae Eaters".
I don't really know if it's any better than the other more common, less
expensive algae eaters.
But it seems to stay busy nibbling on all types of algae, and it also stays
busy terrorizing it's tankmates.
However, I have not noticed such aggressive behavior in the crowded tanks at
my LFS.
You have probably already read this article. But just in case you haven't.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/specie...ult&ID=0413&vi
ew_records=1
This article says it has a peaceful temperament, so maybe mine just has a
bad attitude.
I will be interested to hear from others who have this fish.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

Mike K wrote in
:

Does anybody have this fish? It's quite pretty but I've never heard of
it before. And at $13.50 a piece, would like to here some views before
purchasing!

It is one of the Garra algae eating barbs, Garra pingi. Looks a lot like
the Garra I have now here. Garras do eat algae, but get rather big (10-20
cm, depending on the species), they are fast swimmers but spend most of
they day lying on bottom or cleaning glasses AND they are really aggressive
towards everything they don't like. Normally they ignore most other fish
but they will fight with their own species and other related fish. In a too
small tank they might harass everything, like redtail sharks sometimes do.
They are rather closely related.

Good for you if you think it is quite pretty, but in real life it just has
shades of drab greenish/brownish grey. Some other Garras, like "false
siamensis", have a black side stripe.

Liisa
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Tony Farnam

The description Liisa gave is accurate. Here's a blurry picture of mine.
http://www.cigarleaf.com/Personal/Ho.../New%20030.jpg

"Mike K" wrote in message
in article , Liisa Sarakontu

at
wrote on 12/3/02 6:17 AM:

Good for you if you think it is quite pretty, but in real life it just

has
shades of drab greenish/brownish grey.

So far the only photo I've seen is on the web site

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...s.htm#AlgaeEat
ers

Looks nice and gold there. Maybe it just had a good photo day/