Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
RifRaf

Default Iron supplement...keep adding until levels measure right? Other plant related questions

First...it's a 5 gal with 13W CF and DIY CO2 making about ~25ppm CO2
(Lots of pearling).
For its size, I'd say it's fairly heavily planted. Bizzarre mutating
Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Cabomba, and red Ludwigga.

Substrate is a course gravel covered by a synthetic sand.

I've recently been getting yellowing of the Nana's leaves and bought a
Hagen Fe kit. Levels were about .25ppm as best could tell.

Doing some reading, it seems that appropriate levels are more like .5
- .75ppm.
I've been using Leaf Zone once a week as prescribed on the label.
With the low levels, I've been trying for the last week to add Leaf
Zone each day in a fractional quantity instead of one big weekly does.

This hasn't done anything for the Fe levels..still sitting around
..25ppm.

I've also in the last 2 days tried doubling the daily dose. The Fe
levels are STILL sitting at about .25ppm.

Question IS:

Should I continue to increase the Leaf Zone dosage until I get higher
Fe levels? Couldn't this lead to an algae bloom?

......and on a side note concerning the Cabomba:
The Cabomba loses it's lower 3/4 leave density but continues
to grow VERY fast. Is this indicative of anything specific? It's
almost neckid compared to when I first bought it.

Also, the Java Fern is growing like crazy and has tons of 3 leaved
growths all over the leaves. Do these growths ever finally drop off?
The plant is almost unrecognizable due to the number of growths on
it....it looks BIZZARE!

I'm planning on moving everything over to a 10 gallon soon and using
Flourite for the substrate. I just didn't know any better when
setting up the 5 gal.....still very new to aquat. plant growing.

Chris