Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
rm-rf

Default lighting survey: 36" bulbs

Greetings!

Does anyone use full spectrum 36" T-8 bulbs? Would you mind looking at the
serial number at the ends for me? I'm having a devil of a time finding 36"
T-8 bulbs in anything but "cool white." I can order them from a local
electrical supply store cheaper than special ordering them from the local
pet store. Any other suggestions for bulbs of this length and type are
welcome!

blue skies!
-Jess
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

Try this site for the links to GE and Sylvania, then see if you can get the
supplied to get one or two from the sales rep.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/

I went that route when I built my compact fl. for the 27G cost me $50 CDN.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Malcom

"rm-rf" wrote in message ...
Greetings!

Does anyone use full spectrum 36" T-8 bulbs? Would you mind looking at the
serial number at the ends for me? I'm having a devil of a time finding 36"
T-8 bulbs in anything but "cool white." I can order them from a local
electrical supply store cheaper than special ordering them from the local
pet store. Any other suggestions for bulbs of this length and type are
welcome!

blue skies!
-Jess

Look for 5000-5500K for 'neutral white' which 'replicates the
sunlight'. Cool white usually refers to 4500K which is more yellow
than white though the 5000K are still somewhat yellow - unsure how
good 5500K look but I expect better than 5000K going from 4500 to
5000.

5000K Neutral White:
NEC 30W
LIFE LOOK N-HG T8
FL30SSEX-N-HG
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM

"rm-rf" wrote in message
Greetings!

Does anyone use full spectrum 36" T-8 bulbs? Would you mind looking at
the serial number at the ends for me? I'm having a devil of a time
finding 36" T-8 bulbs in anything but "cool white." I can order them
from a local electrical supply store cheaper than special ordering them
from the local pet store. Any other suggestions for bulbs of this
length and type are welcome!

blue skies!
-Jess

WOW! what a great breakdown on bulbs! Thanks Mr. Nguyen! I guess it was a
mistake to buy a T-8 ballast for this tank. 36 inch bulbs are very
difficult to find in this size, but a little easier to find in T-12.

Something interesting I found-- Sylvania's site (www.sylvania.com) has
spectral graphs, you have to look very hard, but on their product spec
page, there is a link for "Product Documents, Graphs, and Images" You will
find a "Spectral Power Distribution Curve" link.

Lesson learned for this project: When building one's own fixture, find the
bulbs you want, and build around them!

blue skies,
-Jess
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Ryanw1234

I had this exact same problem finding those type of bulbs..I had to
find them at a contractor. I had to shop around and I found the for 5
dollars a peice..The first price I got was $26!!!!

Ryan Wilson