Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Default Power filter media cleaning question

I have an AQ200 loaded with just 2 sponges. Established tank.

I'm concerned about cleaning the sponges and removing the bacteria
colonies. So far, I've just been pulling the sponges and GENTLY
rinsing them off in tap water and putting them back in the filter.

What is the proper cleaning procedure in this case?

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Found some info at.....of all places the Kribb:

"The foam sponge can be easily inspected for clogging or removed for
cleaning. You must clean the sponge regularly to remove the solid
wastes before they decompose and dissolve back into the water.

It is quite important that when you clean the porous foam that you do
not kill the bacteria colony through the use of detergents, very hot
or very cold water.

A safe and easy way is to rinse the foam sponge in the bucket into
which you have just drained some tank water during your regular water
change routine."

Sound right?

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Velvet

"RifRaf" wrote in message
I have an AQ200 loaded with just 2 sponges. Established tank.

I'm concerned about cleaning the sponges and removing the bacteria
colonies. So far, I've just been pulling the sponges and GENTLY
rinsing them off in tap water and putting them back in the filter.

What is the proper cleaning procedure in this case?

Chris

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Um, washing in any temperature of tap water is BAD for bacterial colonies.
The chlorine or chloramine? in it will kill it instantly. Best bet is to
clean it in the water you've just removed from your tank for a water
change - I find removing half the quantity of water to be changed, squish
hte sponge around to remove the worst of the solid waste, tip water away,
remove other half of water to be changed, squish sponge around in that, tip
water away, then refill tank with treated tapwater and replace sponge in
filter, away you go. Don't change all the tank water at once (you likely
don't, but I'm just making it clear) - 10-20% every week or two should be
fine.

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Great responses everyone....THNX!
I think the answers are pretty clear now.

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Jak Crow

Actually. I have a related question. I've had an aquarium for several years,
and I just now started adding live plants to my tank because of some more
exotic fish I decided to try. Since I started this, the power filter's
chamber has been smelling the pond water now that plant debris gets caught
in it. Is this okay? I do make regular changes to the media, but I've been
tempted to really clean the unit out.

Filter media question Roy Ponds 2 08-09-2004 01:26 AM
Filter media question Roy Ponds 0 07-09-2004 05:24 AM
* FREE * Classified Ads for Vacuums ,Carpet Cleaning equipment, and Carpet Cleaning Vans and Vehicles Classifieds Webmaster Lawns 1 19-08-2004 12:43 PM
Filter media question Gary Bindel Ponds 1 24-08-2003 07:42 PM
filter media question Gary Bindel Ponds 3 23-08-2003 10:22 PM