Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Truong

Default need help identifying invasive floating planting

Hi,

Some months ago, I added some new plants to my tank. Unfortunately, there
seems to have been an unexpected hitchhiker. I've attached some links to
pictures of this floating weed. Each 'unit' of the plant is about 1-2cm in
diameter.

http://members.rogers.com/asonthebadone/plant1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/asonthebadone/plant2.jpg

Anybody know what kind of plants these are? And if so, are there any
effective methods that I can control it with? (Other than physical removal,
which doesn't seem to work all that well).

Thanks in advance,

Truong

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

If I had to guess (and I don't; I just can't help myself), I'd say it looks
as much like Riccia fluitans as anything else I'm familiar with. It's kind
of hard to tell looking at it through the surface, though. If it is Riccia,
you can probably find someone who wants to buy it pretty easily.

kush

le.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:37:18 GMT, "Truong"
wrote:

Looks like Riccia to me. Someone will take it off your hands. As
for getting rid of it good luck. I fight duck weed in my 55 gallon
tank all the time. I find it impossible to get every last piece out
and it only takes one.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Jennifer Brooks

http://members.rogers.com/asonthebadone/plant1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/asonthebadone/plant2.jpg

Anybody know what kind of plants these are?

Might be Najas, looks a bit like it.
Jen

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Truong

"Haywire" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
riccia flutans (crystalwort?)

Thanks to everybody for their responses.

I believe that it is indeed Riccia Fluitans. I did some digging and some
people have made some pretty amazing aquascapes with Riccia, attaching it to
logs and rocks and stuff. I have a cork background, so maybe I'll find some
way to try to encourage the Riccia to grow on that.

Thanks again,

Truong