Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Kate Quirk

Default yet more lighting questions

Hi,

I've got a 40 gal low tech tank (3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft) which is reasonably
heavily planted with various swords, chain swords, crypts, and something
that I believe is called blue strike. I have two 30w gro-lux bulbs, but
usually only have one switched on as this seems to be sufficient for the
plants (tank gets some natural light).

My problem is that even this amount of light seems too much for my loaches,
and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to alter the
intensity/colour of the light so that it is more subdued for the fish, but
still enough for the plants? I had considered doing something blue-peterish
with blue/red/purple cellophane in the hope that it was reduce light
intensity without interfering with the blue-red spectrum.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received,

Thanks,

Kate

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:42:30 +1000, "Kate Quirk"
wrote:

You did not mention what kinds of loaches you have, but most loaches
are nocturnal. So any light is going to cause them to hide. You say
the tank gets some natural light. Well the sun is brighter than most
anything you can place over your tank. I would not mess with color as
it may cause your plants to grow strangely.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Kate Quirk

Thanks for your replies guys.

In answer to your questions. I have three Sumatran clown loaches (I'm
thinking of getting another 2-3, I'm just worried about them being too
cramped) which I have had for about a year. In addition to the heavy-ish
plant cover, they have two tunnelled rocks in the centre of the tank, as
well as an upturned amphora-type thing. On one side of the tank I have a
long hollow piece of driftwood, and on the other side, a faux-tree stump
planted with a queen marble sword which provides a number of hiding places
for the wily loach. I also have 10 black neons to act as "dither" or
"cockatoo" fish. The tank is located between an east and a north facing
window (I'm in the southern hemisphere), and it gets quite a bit of
indirect, as opposed to direct sunlight.

I've seen other loaches out and about during light-hours, and I'm at a loss
to explain why mine are so shy. The only time I really see them being
active is in the morning before the light goes on. When the light is on,
they tend to dash out for food, and then back into the plant thickets at the
back of the tank, which is why I thought the light intensity might be a
problem. But maybe they just need more friends (finally, a really good
excuse to buy more fish - yay).

Kate

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Kate Quirk

I got all three of them in January. The biggest one, Caesar, is probably
about 7 cm long, and Pompey and Crassus are about 6cm long - they've each
grown about a centimetre in length in the time I've had them, but have
gotten a great deal fatter and "taller". They've always tended to be shy.
Pompey and Crassus play a lot together - possibly trying to work out who is
second in charge, while Caesar does the "lone loach in the mist" thing a
bit. I am keen to get some more little ones (can't afford big ones, plus I
like to watch my fish grow), but I'm a bit worried they might suffer as the
pecking order is re-assessed. How are loaches with accepting new (and
smaller) companions?

Kate

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Sounds like you have a great tank for clown loaches. It might help to get

few more of them.

How big are they, and how long have you had them? My loaches took months

come out when I moved them to a larger tank. IME, the larger the loaches

are,
the shyer they are. The little ones are fearless, but the older they get,

the
more cautious they become.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

sigh, buried one of mine in the porcelain funeral home this morning, 12 hrs
of being sick and that was it. Oh well still have 3.

what's a sumatran clown anyway?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Kate Quirk

Sorry to hear about your loach. Its terrible to lose one, but at least it
wasn't long and drawn out.

The clown loaches that show up in the aquarium trade apparently come mostly
from borneo or sumatra. The ones I have (and most of the ones I've seen
here in Australia) are from sumatra - they have slightly more brightly
coloured fins than the borneo ones. Loaches on line have an article on how
to tell where your loach hails from http://www.loaches.com/markings.shtml

Kate

able.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

OH so Cool!

Hehe, 2 Sumatran's and 1 Borneo!!! I never noticed the black on the borneo's
finage before!!! and one of my sumatrans has a saddle strap!

Can you tell I bought mine from multiple vendors to get my 3, I went
through about 20. sad state of affairs with the quality of these beauties.

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
Sorry to hear about your loach. Its terrible to lose one, but at least it
wasn't long and drawn out.

The clown loaches that show up in the aquarium trade apparently come

mostly
from borneo or sumatra. The ones I have (and most of the ones I've seen
here in Australia) are from sumatra - they have slightly more brightly
coloured fins than the borneo ones. Loaches on line have an article on

how
to tell where your loach hails from http://www.loaches.com/markings.shtml

Kate

able.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Bruce Geist

I think Clown Loaches are one of the most fun freshwater fish to keep.

Leigh mentioned how smart they are.. mine actually beg for food in the
mornings before I go to work. They hear my foot steps and come to the front
glass to give me the guilts until they are fed. Just after they are fed,
they will lounge in front of some drift wood, laying on their sides against
one another, relaxing. I really enjoy my clowns.

And, by the way, I similarly added two small loaches (~3/4 of an inch) to
two four-inchers. My experience was just like Leigh's; i.e., it takes a few
weeks, but eventually small and large clowns all play together.
Unfortunately, one of the of the small ones did not make it, but the other
three are vigorous and healthy.
-Bruce Geist
able.rogers.com...

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
Sorry to hear about your loach. Its terrible to lose one, but at least

it
wasn't long and drawn out.

The clown loaches that show up in the aquarium trade apparently come

mostly
from borneo or sumatra. The ones I have (and most of the ones I've seen
here in Australia) are from sumatra - they have slightly more brightly
coloured fins than the borneo ones. Loaches on line have an article on

how
to tell where your loach hails from

http://www.loaches.com/markings.shtml

Kate

able.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Mentaloid

Yep - I would agree. Mine like to do the ole' beggin thing too, but
afterwards they all line up along the front of the tanks and take turns
falling over. They love to sleep in a pile underneath a peice of mopani I
have in the tank.. My experience with them is, the more the merrier. I had 3
clowns in my tank when I started, and add 2 more about 3 months later, and 4
more about 4 months later. Each time, they all were very shy for 2-3 days,
but after that, they all zip around the tank like maniacs. One thing I have
found is when I add more, it almost always causes an outbreak of ich. Could
be the suppliers around here, but who knows. For sick loaches though, or for
any external parasites, I really had good luck with ridich - the medicine
hasn't killed a single thing, but the ich clears up in about 7 days. I use a
diatom filter (a real one with diatomite powder, not a "diatom like" micron
filter) in combination with the ridich - helps to catch the dying parasites.
So far in about 1.5 years they have grown from 1-2 inches to 4-6 inches.
Frozen blood worm is a favorite, as well as all my plants I keep trying to
grow - and no, the letuce and any other veggy I give em won't do, it HAS to
be my plants. They also tend to keep my angels (8,10 inches) in line. The
angels forget trying to hassle my peal gourami's when the loaches decided
that they have gone to far and swarm around them. Overall a great fish to
have.

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
Sorry to hear about your loach. Its terrible to lose one, but at

least
it
wasn't long and drawn out.

The clown loaches that show up in the aquarium trade apparently come

mostly
from borneo or sumatra. The ones I have (and most of the ones I've

seen
here in Australia) are from sumatra - they have slightly more brightly
coloured fins than the borneo ones. Loaches on line have an article

on
how
to tell where your loach hails from

http://www.loaches.com/markings.shtml