Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
X-Addict

Default Where to get a good electronic ballast for 3/4 Fluorescents?

Hi all.. I picked out a ballast I think will work for my application
(my tank is 50G and won't be highly planted -- just medium at best).

Anyway, I need to get rid of my temporary lighting that I'm using
now as it is providing insufficient light. Anyway, the ballast I
picked out isn't available at my local HD or Lowes -- these guys
almost exclusively carry magnetic ballasts.. Sheesh.. Anyway, do you
guys get them at your local electrical supply house or somewhere
else?

Also, I picked a ballast made by Sylvania, but it won't work with
more than (T12 F40) 3 lamps. Are there other manufacturers that
make ballasts that could be made to work with 4 lamps?

Thanks!

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Cannibul

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:46:48 GMT, X-Addict wrote:

Hi all.. I picked out a ballast I think will work for my application
(my tank is 50G and won't be highly planted -- just medium at best).

Anyway, I need to get rid of my temporary lighting that I'm using
now as it is providing insufficient light. Anyway, the ballast I
picked out isn't available at my local HD or Lowes -- these guys
almost exclusively carry magnetic ballasts.. Sheesh.. Anyway, do you
guys get them at your local electrical supply house or somewhere
else?

Also, I picked a ballast made by Sylvania, but it won't work with
more than (T12 F40) 3 lamps. Are there other manufacturers that
make ballasts that could be made to work with 4 lamps?

Thanks!

X-addict

I have the Advance Ballast catalog and have not seen a 4 lamp
ballast for T-12 lamps. You can get a T-8 four lamp ballast. I can
get them at the local Lowes (very expensive) or Home Depot (under
$20).
Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Paulio629

Fulham makes an electronic ballast that will run 4 F40T12's. The Workhorse 7 is
the one you want. I have a used one I would part with if you are interested.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
X-Addict

In article , Paulio629 wrote:
Fulham makes an electronic ballast that will run 4 F40T12's. The Workhorse 7 is
the one you want. I have a used one I would part with if you are interested.

Very cool! This is the one I was looking for.. I visited a local electrical
supply house in Hawthorne (CA) today and they weren't very helpful and said that
unless I was ordering multiple ballasts, I was out of luck..

On the good side, this company (Fulham) is located VERY nearby (like 10 minutes)
and I'm sure I can get one locally. The one question I have is what their
Ballast Factor is -- If I'm reading their FAQ correctly, that's what they are
calling their "High Power Factor"...?

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Jason

I have a 65 gal Oceanic that came with a dual ballast, but I also managed to
get a mountable ballast from Coralife (the light bulb makers)... basically
it is an adjustable set that allows you to screw on a bracket and clip that
holds the light, and the ends just fit on the end of each light... It works
great and have it mounted under the front of my hood for a total of 4
lights... Look for something like that from Coralife... That should solve
your problem

"X-Addict" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
X-Addict

In article , Jason wrote:
I have a 65 gal Oceanic that came with a dual ballast, but I also managed to
get a mountable ballast from Coralife (the light bulb makers)... basically
it is an adjustable set that allows you to screw on a bracket and clip that
holds the light, and the ends just fit on the end of each light... It works
great and have it mounted under the front of my hood for a total of 4
lights... Look for something like that from Coralife... That should solve
your problem

Thanks for the info..

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Djay

I have two workhorse 7 ballasts from Fulham. They work very well. I've got
them lighting 3 T12-40s each. They are long and skinny... makes them kind
of awkward to mount (for me anyway since I mounted them on the back of my
DIY hood). If you go with these, be sure to get the power to both pins and
the ground to both pins. Otherwise you'll have VERY premature bulb burnout.
The 240 watts over my 70 gal are very bright and keep my plants growing like
mad!

Djay

nk.net...