Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
lynsey

Default UG filters

What are the advantages/disadvantages to an undergravel filter?
(especially when growing plants)

Thanx,
Lynsey.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:47:18 -0000, "lynsey"
wrote:

What are the advantages/disadvantages to an undergravel filter?
(especially when growing plants)

Thanx,
Lynsey.

Disadvantage is the roots get tangled in them. Makes it hard to
move plants or remove plants. As far as advantages I can't think of
any that over come the major disadvantage.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

Oh. I just finished getting myself disentangled from this thread the other
day. I seem to be becoming the official board UGF advocate.

And I never seem to have a problem with roots getting tangled in the plates.

Advantage: stem plants by and large seem to do better in UGF systems because
they are less prone to root rot. Disadvantage: swords and other heavy root
feeders do not do as well because you can't easily use solid fertilizer
tabs/spikes (they melt away quite quickly). I've had poor luck with some
crypts, too.

Advantage: in my experience, I've found it easier to establish and maintain
equilibrium in UGF systems, probably because of the enhanced circulation and
because, using nearly pea-size gravel and being able to flush out under the
plates, you can get things really, really clean, as compared to a
conventional setup.

I like inserting my CO2 bubbles at the bottom of the riser tubes. By the
time the powerhead impeller is done with it, very little of the bubble gets
to the surface.

A UGF system, in theory, does a superior job of filtering because the entire
gravel bed becomes a biologic extension of your mechanical filter.

If you end up using an undergravel filter, I recommend against using
bubbles, at least during the day.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

news

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

LeighMo took issue with the oracle thusly ...

I have never had stem plants get root rot, with or without a UGF.

Then you must be one of the minority who does things the right way every
time. If you take the time to strip the lower leaves and plant each stem
individually, root rot shouldn't happen. If, like me, you're occasionally
(often? chronically?)) lazy or in a rush and just jam a bunch of plants into
the gravel, it helps to have water circulating through the substrate.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Dave Millman

I'm with Leigh. I don't get root rot on any plants, stem or otherwise. Stem
plants are seldom in the Flourite more than a month anyhow!

I researched UGF for planted tanks way back when I started mine. George Booth
had a great slide in one of his presentations: "This (lush) tank dispells the
myth that plants can't grow with a UGF." Then he explained how he only had to
break down the tank every 6 months to untangle the roots!

I decided UGF wasn't for me.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM

Dave Millman wrote in message ...
I'm with Leigh. I don't get root rot on any plants, stem or otherwise. Stem
plants are seldom in the Flourite more than a month anyhow!

I researched UGF for planted tanks way back when I started mine. George Booth
had a great slide in one of his presentations: "This (lush) tank dispells the
myth that plants can't grow with a UGF." Then he explained how he only had to
break down the tank every 6 months to untangle the roots!

I decided UGF wasn't for me.

You can read my post on the APD of RFUG's using CPVC piping(Smaller
than regular PVC). These never get tangled, clogged and grow plants
excellent.
This style of UG also works very well with the finest of sands and
cost about 5-10$ for most any size tank.

But you don't need it, flourite+ peat and mulm does the trick much
better.
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM

"kush" wrote in message ...
What can I say except the entire world is wrong except for me? How dare you
all question the vast warehouse of aquatic plantgrowing knowledge which is
kush, or attempt to tarnish my wondrous splendiferousness? Excuse me, I
have to go take my medications.

kush

:)

There are many things that appear to be assumed and written into dogma
about planted tanks. Blasphemy has been slow exacerabting in the pews
for a few years now...........

Don't you worry none though........I spent many years with my pals
Algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr