Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Gerry Blanchette

Default First Planted Tank Setup RFC

I am planning my first foray into setting up a planted aquarium. I am
considering using a 15 US Gallon (12"h x 12"w x 24"l) with a 55 watt bright
kit from AHSupply (5300K), Fluorite substrate and DIY CO2. I am considering
an Eheim ECCO 2231 to handle the filtration task. I haven't committed to
any plants yet, although I have a bunch of Hygrophila Corymbosa in another
tank. I think to get going I would use some of that and some Dwarf Bacopa
and some Alternanthera (or not... it seems to get pretty tall). My
objective is to have both red and green colored plants with small leaves,
and the latter two are what I have seen most recently at my LFS that I
liked. Once everything is going (i.e. I don't have tank full of green water
and melted plants) I think I would stick a crypt in as well. Not that it
matters just yet, livestock plans include a small shoal of threadfin
rainbows or pristella tetras.

I am hoping to receive some feedback regarding

-- equipment selection, esp. comments on filtration and circulation.

-- plant selection (are they viable long term candidates, given specified
tank and lighting? What else based on your experience should I consider?)

Any other advice or comments are also appreciated.

Thanks!

-- Gerry Blanchette