Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Default My crazy looking Java Fern - What to do?

My java fern has undergone a massive growth spurt once I *unplanted*
it

It has growths all OVER the leaves and fine haired roots coming from
the new growths.

It looks hideous! I thought that these growths were suppose to drop
off or something. Will they?

I can post links to pix of the fern if needed.

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Djay

They will fall of eventually. Those are "plantlets" and if they are too
hideous you can remove them. Wait until the new plants are an inch or so
long and you can then safely remove them from the parent plant and restart
them somewhere else.

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Ok....so they ARE suppose to fall of then. Pretty much all of the
plantlets have leaves that are about 2-3" in length. Any idea of
approx. how long these things hang on for?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

Mine never "fall off," at least while the mother plant is alive. Sometimes
you can gently pry them off but, usually, a little snip is required.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

mine pop off when I clean the tank, smack the momma with the python and
whamo there's a few orphaned java's floating around looking really nice.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

OK OK OK......so these leaflets DON'T just all off normally.

my little 5 gal. is already so FULL of plants that having any more
java fern in there is gonna start getting insane. It already looks
like a jungle in there! )

I plan on moving everything over to a 10 gal (should be a 20 gal, I
know, I know) after the holidays.

Now...I just need to start working on getting those dark green algae
spots off my precious Nana...AGAIN!. Did I mention I hate algae?

Thanks guys!

Chris

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:19:57 GMT, "Haywire"
wrote:

mine pop off when I clean the tank, smack the momma with the python and
whamo there's a few orphaned java's floating around looking really nice.

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
R.C. Keely

RifRaf wrote:

Ok....so they ARE suppose to fall of then.

OK OK OK......so these leaflets DON'T just all off normally.

Yes and no ;-) In nature, java ferns are often found above water but wet,
like in the spray from a waterfall. Rain, or something brushing against the
plant, or a strong enough air current would detach them. Underwater, a
change in current, nibbling fish, etc, would detach them. Often plantlets
appear on a deteriorating leaf, which would eventually deteriorate to the
point the plantlet ends up attached to nothing. So yes, they naturally come
off, but no, they don't naturally come off. If you get me. I have never
witnessed a plantlet just spontaneously fly off, but I don't spend THAT
much time staring at the java ferns.... so maybe that happens too.

I find the larger the plantlets get, the less they are firmly attached. If
you don't like them, tug gently. Sometimes this will take the very end of
the leaf off with it, but usually they just let go, if leaves are 2-3
inches. In my tank, the gourami likes to yank on baby java fern plantlets
of all sizes and detaches them without tearing the leaves at all, he seems
to have a system. (BAD gourami, plantlets stuck all over filter intake!)

There's no reason to sit around waiting for them to detach, if you don't
like the look. I happen to like it myself, even the little brown hairy
rootlets all over the place. Want a nice pearl gourami? ;-)

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

I've got FOUR pearl gouramis and only the tattered remnants of two bunches
of foxtail fril.

kush

R.C. Keely wrote in message
.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
RifRaf

Rebecca,

Good response. Thank you...makes perfect sense.

Good to know that the "brown hairy rootlets" are normal too...that was
gonna be another question.

I have 1 dwarf gourami in there and he doesn't seem to be messing with
the java fern at all. So, I'll prolly spend a couple minutes one day
and remove all the leaflets....might atually use 1 or 2 of them....not
sure what to do with the rest.

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
R.C. Keely

kush wrote:

I've got FOUR pearl gouramis and only the tattered remnants of two
bunches of foxtail fril.

kush

I added some clumps of java moss to my tank a couple weeks ago, and I was
sure the pearl would pick it to smithereens in a few days, but so far he
hasn't touched it (knocking wood.) The last thing I need is java moss
strewn through everything ;-) He doesn't even eat the plants, he just likes
pruning them...

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
R.C. Keely

RifRaf wrote:

Good to know that the "brown hairy rootlets" are normal too...that was
gonna be another question.

Javas are excellent plants for sucking excess nutrients out of the water
column because of their habit of growing on things rather than in the
gravel, with all those hairy rootlets absorbing waste. The rootlets will
stick to rocks and wood when they find it. I guess I like the effect when
the babies start having babies, and you get multiple levels of plantlets
that form a weird little jungle... fish like it. But my tank probably
wouldn't win any prizes for organized aquascaping ;-)

I have 1 dwarf gourami in there and he doesn't seem to be messing with
the java fern at all. So, I'll prolly spend a couple minutes one day
and remove all the leaflets....might atually use 1 or 2 of them....not
sure what to do with the rest.

I had some spare suction cups (with the rubber ring, to hold a thermometer)
so I started tying plantlets to the rubber rings and sticking them to the
back wall of the tank. Made sort of a nice backdrop when I had a half dozen
of them; they seemed to like it and got big quite fast with the rootlets
just trailing in the current. Also you can just jam them into crevices in
wood or rocks... but yeah, I suppose there is such a thing as java fern
overkill ;-) I always wanted to try growing them emersed in a very humid
terrarium, I've read they grow very well like that, but I've run out of
places to put tanks...

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Da' Fishboy

You can tie java ferns to almost anything with nylon sewing thread. If you
like coconuts get a few scrape out the meat and let the shell soak in a
bucket of water. After a week or so... get your excess java ferns and tie
them by wrapping the thread onto the coconut shell. Put the shell into a
tank and watch it grow.

Da'Fishboy

"R.C. Keely" wrote in message
.. .