Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
daniel godwin

Default adding Lights or CO2 or both

In my 30g tank I currently have low light plants, as I only have a single
20w flourescent bulb. I really want to go all out and get a 96w compact
flourescent bright kit from ahsupply. I'm afraid though, that by adding so
much light at one time, I'm going to end up with an algae bloom. I want to
add more light, as the only plant that is currently doing well is my
Hornwort (grows like a damn weed!) 2 of my anubias plants are nearly
covered by this rust coloured stuff on their leaves. The green hygro also
has lost some leaves. I don't currently do CO2, but I also want to
eventually add a DIY CO2 injector. Would it be better to do the CO2 first,
or lights first, or at the same time? Any other suggestions would also be
appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Daniel
My Tank
30 gal
fish: 5 cherry barbs and 2 koi Angelfish
plants: Anubias barteri, Java fern, Java Moss, Green hygro, crypts sp,
hornwort, anacharis
substrate: small gravel mixed with flourite
decorations: rocks (shale, slate, rainbow slate)
filter: penguin biowheel 330
heater: 150w visa-therm
lights: 20w 24" flourescent

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

I'd recommend doing both at the same time but. You're trying to achieve a
new balance, so you want to try to make all your changes more or less
simultaneously - then you can fiddle the bits incrementally later. Don't
forget to fertilize with trace elements, too - our anubias sounds like it
might be wanting a little supplement.

kush

et...