GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plecos eating cabomba (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16084-plecos-eating-cabomba.html)

Bob A 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

plecos eating cabomba

I've been working toward getting my 55g heavily planted for a while now. At
the moment I have cabomba and a sword, both were doing very well, but a week
or so ago the cabomba stems were becoming almost bare. I suspected someone
was eating them, and I have seen at least one of my two plecostomus
hypostomus fish apparantly doing so.

I have been feeding with sinking wafers which they seem to enjoy. Nothing
has changed that I know of. Any ideas why they suddenly are eating the
cabomba? And does this mean they will be eating other plants I buy?

thanks,

bob

Philip Ash 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

plecos eating cabomba

Bob,

I suggest, the plecos have decided the cabomba is tastier or they are
hungry.
Try feeding them veggies. Cucumber , Peas etc. You will find much info on
the web about potential foods.
That may satisfy them.

Phil.

Bruce Geist 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

plecos eating cabomba

I have a bristlenose pleco that has been nothing but trouble to me for the
past 2 years. Despite being well fed, he massacres my Amazon swords.
Sorry to hear about your Cambomba..

I know some people are able to keep bristlenose plecos in heavily planted
tanks, but I have not had good luck. I will stick with SAEs and ottos,
unless someone lets me in on the secret to keeping plecos from eating
plants. I am all ears..

-Bruce Geist

Bruce Geist 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

plecos eating cabomba

I will try it. Thanks. -Bruce Geist
redled wrote in message
Try feeding your pleco some vegetables. Most like spinach or cucumber.

Just
boil it in the microwave for a couple of minutes (in the case of cucumber,
take the skin off of a slice too) and then it will sink.

Bob A wrote in message
I've been working toward getting my 55g heavily planted for a while

now.
At
the moment I have cabomba and a sword, both were doing very well, but a

week
or so ago the cabomba stems were becoming almost bare. I suspected

someone
was eating them, and I have seen at least one of my two plecostomus
hypostomus fish apparantly doing so.

I have been feeding with sinking wafers which they seem to enjoy.

Nothing
has changed that I know of. Any ideas why they suddenly are eating the
cabomba? And does this mean they will be eating other plants I buy?

thanks,

bob

__
"Insert witty comment here."