GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Copper Medications and Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16086-copper-medications-plants.html)

Larz 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Copper Medications and Plants

I'm having trouble with a mild outbreak of Ick, and I'm considering using
Seachem's Cupramine or Mardel's Copper Safe in my planted aquarium.

I keep Elodia, Cabomba, Java fern, Java Moss, Bacopa, Crypts and
Ceratopteris.

Should I be very concerned that the copper will injure these species?

Thanks,
Larz

Larz 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Copper Medications and Plants

Thanks for the advice.

Larz

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Should I be very concerned that the copper will injure these species?

Yes. Plants don't tolerate copper very well, and neither do inverts like
snails or shrimp.

A dye-based medication is a better choice for a planted tank. Something

with
formalin and malachite green will be most effective. (Rid-Ich or

Quick-Cure
are two good brands.) If you're worried about the seals of the tank being
stained, try Maracide. It uses a different dye, that's less staining.

(But,
IME, it's not as effective. For bad cases of ich, stick with Rid-Ich or
QuickCure.)

Leigh

Haywire 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Copper Medications and Plants

My clown loaches and neon tetras swear by malachite green, got a tiny bottle
of "NOX ICH" that last quite a long time.

"Larz" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice.

Larz