Old 20-04-2003, 07:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Nymphaea bud?

I think one of my Nymphaea daubenyana is trying to flower. In the center of
the plant is what looks like a bud. It's much larger and thicker than new
leaves are, and is white/pink/green instead of red. The stalk is only 2" high
or so.

I'm kind of surprised that this plant is budding (if that's what this is),
because it's never reached the surface of the water. It's small, as lilies go,
and hasn't even come close to reaching the top of the tank so far.

Does this plant ever flower underwater? If it can't reach the surface, will it
just fail to bloom?

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:15 AM
kush

Neat! Is that the daubenyana on the center-right of the tank on your home
page?

I've had flower stalks bud when oxygen bubbles have accumulated on them. My
sags flower under water in air bubbles quite often. But lily leaves are a
few inches across, aren't they?

I had thought that you needed to allow a couple of "floating" leaves (I
don't know the proper term) to stimulate flower stalk development, but
unusual things can happen in artificial environments. If it DOES flower
make sure you propagate it and I get an offspring!

And take a picture!

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 07:15 AM
LeighMo

Neat! Is that the daubenyana on the center-right of the tank on your home
page?

No, that's the Zenkeri (tiger lotus). The N. daubenyana are smaller plants.
There's one in the right front corner, and a larger one in the center of the
tank, in front of the big piece of driftwood. That's the one that's budding.

If it DOES flower
make sure you propagate it and I get an offspring!

And take a picture!

If it does flower, I will definitely get a photo. But I don't think it can
flower underwater, and I can't imagine it actually reaching the surface. Plus,
there's my clown loaches. They always eat my Anubias flowers, and I fear the
Nymphaea will get the same treatment.

Leigh