GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aggressive SAEs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16100-aggressive-saes.html)

Mike K 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

I went to a couple of my LFS over the last couple of days looking for SAEs
to add as the first fish to my planted tank. Nobody seemed to carry them and
they all told me "We rarely have them available because they are so
aggressive." Is this right? Everything I've every read suggested they were
rather peaceful creatures. What's your experience?

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:28:48 GMT, Mike K wrote:

they all told me "We rarely have them available because they are so
aggressive." Is this right? Everything I've every read suggested they were
rather peaceful creatures. What's your experience?

They are NOT!!! agressive. This comment is usually the result of
mis-identification of SAEs.

SAEs are very active, which can bother and stress some fast moving
fish, but they are NOT agressive.

Just keep looking around, eventually you should be able to find a LFS
that knows the truth.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Lee Clemmer 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

Your LFS probably is confusing them with CAEs, which can be very aggressive.

Lee

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

they all told me "We rarely have them available because they are so
aggressive." Is this right? Everything I've every read suggested they were
rather peaceful creatures. What's your experience?

They are probably confusing them with false Siamensis, or flying foxes, both of
which can be pretty mean as they get older. It's rare to find a LFS that knows
real SAEs from false ones.

I've had only minor problems with aggressiveness in true SAEs. If there are
only two in the tank, one can bully the other. No actual damage, but the
subordinate fish spends a lot of time hiding, and might have trouble getting at
the food.

The solution to this is easy: have at least three SAEs in the tank. If you
keep a small group rather than a pair, there's no bullying.

Leigh

Bob Alston 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

I think they might be referring to Chinese Algae Eaters. Many fish
stores don't seem to know what an SAE is. I have had SAEs since quite
small, to now about 3-3-1/2 inches. They seem to school together,
maybe a bit roudy, but I have never seem them nip the fins of my
angels or any other fish. The Chinese algae eater, on the other hand
is known for being agressive when older. I had one almost kill an
adult angel. I had bought a small one when having an algae problem
and before I could get SAEs. Bad move.

Bob

Ed 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:28:48 GMT, Mike K wrote:

I went to a couple of my LFS over the last couple of days looking for SAEs
to add as the first fish to my planted tank. Nobody seemed to carry them and
they all told me "We rarely have them available because they are so
aggressive." Is this right? Everything I've every read suggested they were
rather peaceful creatures. What's your experience?

I have one older SAE left in my 25.

He will try to keep my dozen or so Cardinals from getting to the food
at feeding time. It's an exhibit in futilism...

Regards,

Ed
i-aquaria.com

cindy 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

I heard the same thing from a LFS today and so I had to order some
SAEs through them. How can I be sure they are really SAEs when I go
to pick them up?

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

I heard the same thing from a LFS today and so I had to order some
SAEs through them. How can I be sure they are really SAEs when I go
to pick them up?

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

Be warned, in U.S. pet stores, any fish sold as SAEs are likely to be either
false SAEs or flying foxes.

Leigh

Ed 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

On 16 Dec 2002 22:50:40 -0800, (cindy) wrote:

I heard the same thing from a LFS today and so I had to order some
SAEs through them. How can I be sure they are really SAEs when I go
to pick them up?

Cindy - although I am not an expert on SAEs I do believe that they
have the black stripe extending all the way through the tail.

Look at the pictue on my homepage

http://www.i-aquaria.com

I have not had the experience that others have had with SAEs in that
mine do not/did not eat much algae at all. Once they found the food
that I was feeding my other fish they gave up algae.

HTH.

Regards,

Ed

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

cindy wrote:

I heard the same thing from a LFS today and so I had to order some
SAEs through them. How can I be sure they are really SAEs when I go
to pick them up?

Read the page Leigh sent you. The simple in-store tests a

1. Markings or color in fins? NOT SAE.

2. Black stripe stops BEFORE tail? NOT SAE

3. Black stripe has sharp borders, with a lighter stripe above? NOT SAE.

True SAEs have transparent fins with no markings. The stripe extends
into the tail, and has a jagged or rough border with no lighter stripe
above.

Philippe Lemaire 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Aggressive SAEs?

Pink reflections above the mouth : SAE