GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need help with plant dosage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16102-need-help-plant-dosage.html)

Paul 20-04-2003 07:15 AM

Need help with plant dosage

Hi ya'all. The tank I'm concerned with is a 46g bow front. It is, I would
say medium planted, with Rotala Magenta, or Rotala Indica, not sure which
for the most part, and some slower growing broad leafed plants. The tank has
96 watts lighting and is non C02. Using Chuck's site and figuring for 40
gallons for Potassium Sulphate mixed 3 tbls per 250 ml it shows a target
range of 20ppm. 1 ml = .32 ppm. I figure thats about 20ml a week, broken
down I'd say about 2.5 ml per day. Does this sound about right? Also what
should the TMG dosage be? I'm a bit fuzzy headed from a bad cold at the
moment, so not sure if I'm figuring right and hopefully I can get some help
from some clear headed experts. Thanks a bunch.
--
Paul

"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

[email protected] 20-04-2003 07:15 AM

Need help with plant dosage

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Hi ya'all. The tank I'm concerned with is a 46g bow front. It is, I would
say medium planted, with Rotala Magenta, or Rotala Indica, not sure which
for the most part, and some slower growing broad leafed plants. The tank has
96 watts lighting and is non C02.

Better color and plant growth would do well at this light level to add
CO2.

Using Chuck's site and figuring for 40
gallons for Potassium Sulphate mixed 3 tbls per 250 ml it shows a target
range of 20ppm. 1 ml = .32 ppm. I figure thats about 20ml a week, broken
down I'd say about 2.5 ml per day. Does this sound about right? Also what
should the TMG dosage be? I'm a bit fuzzy headed from a bad cold at the
moment, so not sure if I'm figuring right and hopefully I can get some help
from some clear headed experts. Thanks a bunch.

I think you have some misguided target levels here for a non CO2 tank.
Either pick the non CO2 method or pick the CO2 enriched tank method.

You are trying to do both. If you want more plant growth and pruning
etc, add CO2. If not, don't add anything except fish and fish food,
have a nice deep substrate(sand +soil or laterite or kitty litter, or
a deep bed of flourite etc). Refrain from water changes, only add top
off water, have a good amount of algae eaters and some floating
plants.

If you wish to dose K2SO4, add it weekly after a water change(which is
a CO2 enriched tank method) by adding 1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4 after a
water change(50% weekly).

Since you are asking for nutrient dosing, you must want better growth,
adding CO2 is the best way to do that.
Non CO2 is not for the Cheaper price but rather a more hands off
approach, neglected almost, low mainteanace style of plant aquarium
and requires more patience, some trial and error, less plant choices
and less pruning.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Tom Barr

Paul 20-04-2003 07:15 AM

Need help with plant dosage

" wrote in message
om...
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

SNIP

Thanks Tom, appreciate the info. I had intended to add pressurized co2 to
this tank, but with all the hassle I have had with the co2 on my 20g I
decided against it. The hassles are most likely my own doing and not being
able to get an accurate ph reading to gage the co2 content. The color charts
are just too difficult for me to read and get an accuurate reading, and I'm
not color blind. Just bubble in what looks about right. So decided wasn't
going to fool with it on the 46g as there are fish to think about and don't
want to be messing with Ph changes that might effect them. Thanks again.

NjF 20-04-2003 07:15 AM

Need help with plant dosage

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:32:32 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

The hassles are most likely my own doing and not being
able to get an accurate ph reading to gage the co2 content. The color charts
are just too difficult for me to read and get an accuurate reading, and I'm
not color blind. Just bubble in what looks about right.

Hey now... Are you making fun of us color blind folk? :) Seriously,
the pH color charts are impossible for me to read. I have to ask my
fiancee which color she thinks it is. I'm trying really hard to get
her in to the hobby. She said she is willing as long as we get some
shrimps and ADFs for tank. Oh... and she has some sort of fascination
with lizards. I'll have to let her have a couple of those as well.
Sounds fair to me. :)

NjF