GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   P. bridgesii (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16105-p-bridgesii.html)

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

P. bridgesii

I'm looking for a source for P. bridgesii. I can't seem to find any near
me and my loaches are decimating the populations of my other snails (some
small "standard" snails and ramshorns, who have actually now learned to
avoid the floor of the aquarium and spend most of their time on the
plants).
Any help would be most appreciated.

Victor

Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

P. bridgesii

I'm looking for a source for P. bridgesii. I can't seem to find any near
me and my loaches are decimating the populations of my other snails

I think you'll find that they'll do the same to the P. bridgesii. Loaches can
kill snails much larger than themselves. I think they just harass them to
death. :-(

Leigh

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

P. bridgesii

LeighMo wrote:
I think you'll find that they'll do the same to the P. bridgesii. Loaches can
kill snails much larger than themselves. I think they just harass them to
death. :-(

Hmmm... I know of this guy who keeps 7 Botia macracantha, 4 B. almorhae, 3 B.
striata, and 1 B. helodes *and* both shrimp and snails (bridgesii and
Melanoides tuberculata), check it out at
http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

P. bridgesii

Hmmm... I know of this guy who keeps 7 Botia macracantha, 4 B. almorhae, 3 B.
striata, and 1 B. helodes *and* both shrimp and snails (bridgesii and
Melanoides tuberculata)

How long has he kept them?

I've succeeded in keep clown loaches and apple snails together for a few weeks
or months, but the loaches always get them eventually. Often when I go away
for a weekend and leave the loaches unfed for a day or two.

MTS are better snails to keep with loaches. They have tougher shells, and can
hide from the loaches under the gravel. But the loaches still get a lot of
them. This morning, one of my clown loaches was carrying a large MTS around in
its mouth, swinging it around and worrying at it like a dog with a bone.

Leigh

kush 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

P. bridgesii

I have some horsehead loaches (latin, dunno?) which do not eat snails, even
very small ones!! (But they do eat all the snail eggs.) Every other loach
or botia I've ever owned was a verified snail killer - the bigger the snail,
the more protracted the thrill of the kill.

kush