GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CO2 yeast injector- how control pH? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16111-co2-yeast-injector-how-control-ph.html)

cindy 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

CO2 yeast injector- how control pH?

I am planning to make a CO2 generator for my 38 gallon tank. I
already have a CO2 reactor (I've been using the bioplast CO2 tablets)
and am hoping I can rig something up from the generator to the
reactor.

2 questions:
1. I have skunk loach that keeps hanging around the reactor. He
often swims in it. If it is filled with CO2 - can this harm him?

2. Should I worry about the pH changing quickly? I can monitor this
with test strips for the first few days - but how can I adjust the
amount of CO2 going into the reactor (use less sugar? or put in a
purge valve?).

okay, a third question,

I don't have anything that sprays or blows against reactor - the CO2
just site there for several hours and slowly goes into solution ....is
this okay?

TIA,

kush 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

CO2 yeast injector- how control pH?

Question 1: I have cherry barbs who insist on swimming into a CO2 diffuser
and getting trapped in it for the best part of a day before finding their
way out. I'm not sure why it doesn't kill them, bit it hasn't yet. In
another tank, I have a school of red-eye tetras who like to hang out in the
CO2 bubble stream from a powerhead. So, go figure.

Question 2: The amount of ingredients you use in DIY CO2 isn't going to
significantly affect how much CO2 is produced, only the duration of
production. With homemade CO2, you can only get so much gas into the water
so fast so I don't think you need to worry about cranking down the pH too
quickly unless you're already marginal.

Question 3: You definitely need water circulation around your reactor to
make the exercise worthwhile.

kush

om...