GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Source for 5lb CO2 tank (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16139-source-5lb-co2-tank.html)

Chris Spierings 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

Can anyone recommend a good source for a 5lb CO2 tank? I've explored
things locally and it looks like they don't want to rent anything that
small so I'm faced with purchasing.

Thanks

Chris

Strgazr 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

I got mine from a home beer/wine makeing store. It was actually a much
better price than the welding supply stores. I have also heard of people
going to fire safety stores. If not, they are available online, although
the shipping can be a little high because of the weight.
http://www.welding-direct.com/sinstagflowg.html
http://www.morebeer.com/
http://www.homebrew.com/
http://www.e-brew.com/keg-part.htm
http://www.kegworks.com/pages/draft/regulator.html
(I borrowed these links from Chuck Gadd's excellent planted aquarium
website: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/index.htm )

Paul 20-04-2003 06:15 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

"Chris Spierings" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good source for a 5lb CO2 tank? I've explored
things locally and it looks like they don't want to rent anything that
small so I'm faced with purchasing.

Thanks

Chris

I get mine from the local welding supply and for only $5.50 per refill.
--
Paul

"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

Moose 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

Just me being curious and ignorant, what do you need a co2 tank for?

Chris Spierings wrote in
:

Bob Alston 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

Harbor freight has regulators for $30.00
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

I bought my cylinder and regulator as a kit from Rapids Wholesale # BD435 -
$99
http://rapidswholesale.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

Bob

Cannibul 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:20:39 GMT, Moose
wrote:

Just me being curious and ignorant, what do you need a co2 tank for?

Well the first thing that comes to mind seeing as how this is an
Aquatic Plant news group would be CO2 injection into a planted tank.
But then again maybe he wants to have some kind of kinky sex with it.

Chris Spierings wrote in
:

Nsty N8 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

Just me being curious and ignorant, what do you need a co2 tank for?

Well the first thing that comes to mind seeing as how this is an
Aquatic Plant news group would be CO2 injection into a planted tank.
But then again maybe he wants to have some kind of kinky sex with it.

That would probably be Nitrous, not Co2.
See "Blue Velvet."

Moose 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

why not just use baking soda?

(Nsty N8) wrote in news:20021226120527.15395.00000290@mb-
fs.aol.com:

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 02:53:10 GMT, Moose
wrote:

why not just use baking soda?

Adding baking soda only increases the KH (and so increases the pH).
It does not in any way add CO2.

See the second "Myth" section on this webpage for an explaination:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Moose 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

That's rather odd. I know a Dr. of paleobiology who also teaches honours
chemistry who said that it would work.

Chuck Gadd wrote in
:

Nestor 10 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

Moose wrote in message
3.159...
That's rather odd. I know a Dr. of paleobiology who also
teaches honours chemistry who said that it would work.

Tell 'im to stick to the dead stuff, then...

--
-Y-

Nestor 10

".chkr" is for mail-bots

Richard J. Sexton 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

What about biogenic decalcification? See P78 of "The Optimim Aquarium".

Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 04:46:56 GMT, Moose
wrote:

That's rather odd. I know a Dr. of paleobiology who also teaches honours
chemistry who said that it would work.

Well, that Dr. better go back to school.

There is no way that adding baking soda will add any CO2 to the water.

A few aquatic plants CAN get their carbon from the carbonates in the
water, and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will provide that. But it
is definitely NOT the same as adding CO2. Even for those few plants
that can use carbonate, it is a very inefficient process.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Source for 5lb CO2 tank

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 16:29:06 -0600, Chris Spierings
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for a 5lb CO2 tank? I've explored
things locally and it looks like they don't want to rent anything that
small so I'm faced with purchasing.

I'd look in the yellow pages (online version is best) and check out
welding suppliers, gas suppliers, restaurant suppliers, brewing
suppliers, beverage suppliers, etc.

You don't need, or even want a new tank. It would probably cost more,
and most places don't actually re-fill YOUR tank, they simply sway
your empty tank for a filled one, so you won't get your new shiny tank
for long anyway. When I first got my tank, there were about 10
places within 20 minutes of my house that would exchange my 5 or 10lb
CO2 tank, and only one place that would actually fill my tank on site,
and that place stopped doing on-site fills a few months ago.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua