Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Donovan N

Default "rootless" plants

I was wondering... what plants can be grown on objects instead of in
substrate? I already know of java moss and java fern; any others? I'm
looking for non-floating plants, btw.

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

I was wondering... what plants can be grown on objects instead of in
substrate? I already know of java moss and java fern; any others? I'm
looking for non-floating plants, btw.

African fern, aka Bolbitis. All the varieties of Anubias. There are other
mosses, too, like Christmas moss and willow moss.

Amano covers rocks and driftwood with Riccia, by tying it with fishing line. I
don't think it attaches by itself, but it does well grown that way.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Donovan N

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I was wondering... what plants can be grown on objects instead of in
substrate? I already know of java moss and java fern; any others? I'm
looking for non-floating plants, btw.

African fern, aka Bolbitis. All the varieties of Anubias. There are

other
mosses, too, like Christmas moss and willow moss.

Amano covers rocks and driftwood with Riccia, by tying it with fishing

line. I
don't think it attaches by itself, but it does well grown that way.

Leigh

Riccia is a beautiful plant, but I need something that can handle less than
optimum lighting and no CO2 injection. IIRC anubias has a rep. for being
hardy, and it looks good. I'll try that.

thanks for the info,

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Riccia is a beautiful plant, but I need something that can handle less than
optimum lighting and no CO2 injection. IIRC anubias has a rep. for being
hardy, and it looks good. I'll try that.

Anubias are hardy plants that do well in low light. Many of them are short, so
they would be a good choice for your small tank. (There are also tall
varieties, that make good showpieces.)

Since they are slow-growing, you might want to put them in a shady area of your
tank. Otherwise, spot algae grows on its leaves.

Leigh

Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
s/h and rootless wonders Jack Orchids 5 14-11-2005 09:48 AM
AP's "AlgaeFix" and plants (was AP's "Algae-Destroyer") coelacanth Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-06-2003 08:56 PM
Small tractor With "Briggs@Stratton"EngineType "Farmers Boy" Alfsilver1 Gardening 0 30-01-2003 10:14 AM
"Healthy Forests" or "Healthy Forest Corporations"? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 2 26-10-2002 06:58 AM