GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lighting? Help a newbie? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16155-lighting-help-newbie.html)

Dustin 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

I have a 29 gal, I want to plant it. Ive read alot of "The Krib" but am
still warry about building my own. Would this hood do the job, and if so is
it a fair price?

Thank You for your help in advance!

Dustin

LeighMo 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

I have a 29 gal, I want to plant it. Ive read alot of "The Krib" but am
still warry about building my own. Would this hood do the job, and if so is
it a fair price?

That might be overkill, if this is your first tank. It's 110 watts, which
would be nearly 4 watts per gallon for a 29 gallon tank.

If you don't want to inject CO2, you should aim for closer to 2 wpg. If you
are willing to inject CO2, 3 wpg is a good level.

Leigh

Dustin 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Would the overkill hurt anything?

If I only used one bulb at 55W - which is 1.98w per gallon, with DIY co2,
would that be a better solution?

Thanks For All your Help :)

kush 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

The challenge to having four watts per gallon is, first and initially,
getting your system stable and a desirable equilibrium established before
algae gets a foothold and, secondly, the several hours of weekly maintenance
you should expect to have to do to keep your plantings tamed. High light
levels are fun, but demanding - I'd firmly recommend getting some experience
and confidence at lower lighting levels before you attempt it.

IMHO, about two watts per gallon is an excellent level to start at. With a
55w CF over an 18" high tank, you can still have high light plants directly
under the lamp and low to medium light tolerant plants around the edges. At
two watts, a single soda bottle of CO2 injected into the filter will
probably be enough.

Good luck!

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Dustin 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Well I called the LFS and they actually made fun of me when i said 2 to 3
watt per gallon. They said anything over 1.5 would cook the fish. And this
company has been in business for over 20 years! haha.

Any truth to this?

Has anyone had any luck with ahsupply.com ?

kush 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Yeah, but anything under 1.5 watts will severely limit the plants you can
keep - a few crypts, anubias, java fern, etc. Don't worry; your fish will
be having so much fun playing hide and seek amongst the waving masses of
lush foliage they probably won't even notice that they're cooking. Anyway,
I have a couple of 20 gallon long tanks with 55 watt CF's over them, and no
boiled fish.

AH Supply is excellent. I've never heard of a complaint about them. That's
who I got my last couple of retrofits from.

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:14:27 -0800, "Dustin"
wrote:

watt per gallon. They said anything over 1.5 would cook the fish. And this
company has been in business for over 20 years! haha.

Any truth to this?

Well, since MANY people here are using 3-4 watts per gallon, it's
obviously NOT true.

And yes, AH supply is a VERY highly regarded lighting supplier for
planted tanks.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Jenya 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Hi Dustin,

I also have 29g tank.
I have 2x55 fixture from ahsupply. I built my own hood for it.
http://home1.gte.net/res0xn9p/fishtankhood/index.html

Bulbs are wired up with switches that allow me to operate them independatly

I understand what people mean when saying that some experience is desirable
when going with high intensity lights.
I had an unbelievable explosion of algae shortly after I started using new
lights. At this moment I won over algae by letting fast growing plants to
grow wild. I have to do weeding out very often. Other plants are catching
up. Overall I am very happy with the tank right now and don't regret having
two 55W bulbs. Besides being bright enough to grow pretty much any plants,
it allows me to mix bulbs with different colors to my likening
http://www.culbertfamily.com/jenya/aquarium/lights/

--
Jenya
Computers are useless. They can only give answers.-Pablo Picasso

Dustin 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Wow that is wonderful :) I was looking at your lighting charts, did you get
the blue/red lights from ahsupply as well? Which do you use?

Do you have any pictures of your 29gal?

Thank You!

LeighMo 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

Would the overkill hurt anything?

It can cause intense algae headaches. If you don't inject CO2, it can cause
daily pH swings that are severe enough to harm the fish.

If I only used one bulb at 55W - which is 1.98w per gallon, with DIY co2,
would that be a better solution?

You could grow just about anything you wanted with this setup. The growth
would not be as fast as it would with more light, but that's not a bad thing.
Less maintenance!

AH Supply is very well-regarded. And if you build your own, you can design it
so that you can add more light, later.

As for lighting...the sun is much more intense than any manmade light, so the
brightness of the light shouldn't be a problem. However, the heat generated
can be. My tank gets very warm in the summer. So much so that I ended up
buying an air conditioner and a power fan for the room the tank is in.

Leigh

Jenya 20-04-2003 07:16 AM

Lighting? Help a newbie?

the blue/red lights from ahsupply as well? Which do you use?
I don't know if ahsupply has red/blue. Last time I looked they didn't.
You can get the light from http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/
I ended up using 6400K + Red/Blue. I think it also would be interesting to
try 10K/Red +10K/Blue.

Do you have any pictures of your 29gal?

Not yet. I'd like to wait taking the picture until my other plants will get
to their full size. Right now the tank is dominated by ellodea(sp?). Perhaps
in a couple of weeks it will look more the way it should be.

Jenya

adensymond 21-04-2011 09:41 PM

Lighting is a basic requirement, we have a comfortable life. It is simply unimaginable that we have to stay in the dark, helpless and unproductive.

emersonchriss 22-04-2011 08:21 PM

The most basic aquariums come with lighting already installed, but you can also buy lights if you want something different. For a novice the lighting in the aquarium should be sufficient if it is fluorescent, but it only applies to freshwater tanks. If you're building a sea water aquarium, better lighting is a must.

aidanndella 23-04-2011 04:21 PM

There are many people who believe they can not grow plants, because they have not planted flowers and vegetables successfully. Gardening truth is that it is a lot of work, not everyone is aware of this. Each factory has different needs and reasons, many novice gardeners fail because they think all plants are the same.

rickdamons 04-05-2011 07:52 PM

Fluorescent lighting is one of the most popular choice these days fans. Not to mention that these have different sizes, these also have a variety of power and is the easiest to install and use the aquarium. You can choose to customize the tank, the way you desire.