Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

Default cloudy planted tank

LeighMo wrote ...

It might be best to just let the tank alone. Let the biological filter
re-establish itself, and the problem may go away on its own.

Or temporarily add several bunches of hornwort or duckweed or cheap stem
plants like pond penny and two teaspoons per gallon of A.C.T. by Markel.

My 2 cents U.S.,
kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bugbear

No dead fish that I'm aware of. Kind of hard as the tank is heavily
planted and if any died or where half eaten it would be hard to find
but I doubt this as everyone is accounted for except the ones that are
always hiding and only visible at night. The only snails in the tank
are the small pond snails and I don't think a few of them dying would
cause a major swing. Did do some trimming but I wouldn't say anything
severe and most of the clippings where replanted. We did have a power
outage for a couple hrs. Same fertilizer and food. Thought about
leaving it alone and had for about 2 weeks without a good change but
instead it got thicker. So we spent last night cleaning the tank and
sucked up enough detrius around my 6x10 liliopelis clump to fill a
small bucket. The lili had basically died and then regrew on top of
the dead part so this may had caused an increase in the nutrients in
the water throwing the balance off. Hopefully this is the cause.
Believe so after reveiwing a number of plant books and other
resources. We'll see how it goes.

tose (LeighMo) wrote in message ...
Kind of odd for it to start cycling again as it was already cycled
before the bloom.

Did anything happen that might have affected the biological filter? Dead fish
or snails, medication added to the tank, food you don't usually use, plants
pruned severely, power outage, new fertilizer, etc.?

Unfortunatley, funds are
tight, so a UV sterilizer or a diatom filter are out of the question.

It might be best to just let the tank alone. Let the biological filter
re-establish itself, and the problem may go away on its own.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Joe Ferenchik

Here's a scenario for ya... I've got a tank (75G) that has been
established for over 2 years. I just started the live plant thing
recently. The plants did and looked great for the first month... Until
they depleted their natural reserves. The water clouded up (but wasn't
green) and I got a horrendous algae outbreak. Almost to the point that
there was a green sheet covering everything in the tank. I upped the
fertilizer dose rate, (bright cf's and pressurized co2) in the hopes
to get the plants going again like they were when they were purchased.
I was a little concerned that the algae might use all of the added
nutrients to their benefit. To my amazement the plants took off and
most of the algae was eradicated in very short order. As I type I can
see that the algae is slowly turning black as it dies and is sheeting
off of everything.

On 2 Jan 2003 15:19:31 -0800, (Bugbear) wrote:

Kind of odd for it to start cycling again as it was already cycled
before the bloom. I did do a no, no. I cleaned the filter when I did
a water change but this was after the initial bloom started so this
probably didn't help any. Will do regular water changes every couple
days in hopes that this will help clear it up and leave the filter
alone. Thought about doing something like a 95% water change,
otherwise, suck all the water out down to the gravel and refill but
this may be a bit drastic. The fish may suffer a bit but but there
all hardy fish anyway and they've been through worse. Will try to get
the nitrites to 0, clean the CO2 reactor. Unfortunatley, funds are
tight, so a UV sterilizer or a diatom filter are out of the question.

(LeighMo) wrote in message ...
nitrites ~.15 if that

This might be the problem. Nitrite should be zero. If nitrite is measurable,
your tank is cycling. Cloudy water is to be expected.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Bugbear

Well, after going through everything on the aquarium, found the cloudy
water to be a bacterial bloom. After reviewing everything I've done
to the aquarium over the past couple of weeks and thoroughly
discussing this my significant other, she brought to my attention of
the floss I placed in the filter a couple days before Christmas.
Anyway, it looks as if I put so much floss in the filter that it
reduced the flow rate significantly enough to kill off half the
bacteria in the filter, thus, as you guessed, a bacteria bloom.
Anyway, I've pulled out majority of the new floss and will have to
wait for the recycling process to finish before the water becomes
clear again.

What's come up now is that I would like to put in a type of biological
media that would help greatly. Right now, all I have are sponges and
a bit of floss in the canister filter. I'm considering ceramic rings,
bio-stars, or bio-glass. Anyway, I am unable to find much information
on the bio-glass. Here is a link to the product I'm thinking of
adding. Any comments or suggestions.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4173

thanks

"J. Toonen" wrote in message ...
Hi,

as one of the other posting sais, I think it's bacteria'bloom'; cloudiness
in this case should look a bit 'silvery'. It should disappear/decrease
within about 24-48hrs. Best thing to do is to let it rest, but keep an eye
on O2/CO2!
If this is not the case, better check your whole chemical scenario and post
it again.

Jos.

"Bugbear" schreef in bericht
m...
Need some feedback on possible causes and solutions to my 75g tank.
The tank is already established. Before this the tank had really
clear water. Filter is clean as well or as clean as I guess a
canister filter can get.