GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Java ferns -no rhizomes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16173-java-ferns-no-rhizomes.html)

redled 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Java ferns -no rhizomes

OK, I realize that this subject has been done to death, but I haven't come
across how to do this. I have several java fern "leaves" from the LFS, that
didn't come with rhizomes, they are just cut off at the bottom. I tried to
tie them down to driftwood, but after about 5 weeks they are not attaching,
nor is there any sort of growth on the stem part. There is, however, new
plantlets starting to form on all of the leaves. Is it possible for new
rhizomes to grow from the orginal plants, or do I have to wait for the
plantlets to develop and then attach them to the driftwood?

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Java ferns -no rhizomes

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:49:16 GMT, (redled) wrote:

plantlets starting to form on all of the leaves. Is it possible for new
rhizomes to grow from the orginal plants, or do I have to wait for the
plantlets to develop and then attach them to the driftwood?

The old leaf will never re-grow any roots or rhizome. Java ferns do
not propogate by cuttings.

If the leaf has the black "spores" on the back, then you can just let
the leaf float, and the baby plants will grow and mature enough that
you can then attach/plant them.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

redled 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Java ferns -no rhizomes

In article , wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:49:16 GMT,
(redled) wrote:

plantlets starting to form on all of the leaves. Is it possible for new
rhizomes to grow from the orginal plants, or do I have to wait for the
plantlets to develop and then attach them to the driftwood?

The old leaf will never re-grow any roots or rhizome. Java ferns do
not propogate by cuttings.

If the leaf has the black "spores" on the back, then you can just let
the leaf float, and the baby plants will grow and mature enough that
you can then attach/plant them.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Alright. Those plantlets are coming along fast, so I'll do that. They wanted
about 5x as much at Big Al's for ones with rhizomes.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John

Chuck Gadd 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Java ferns -no rhizomes

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:42:55 GMT, (redled) wrote:

Alright. Those plantlets are coming along fast, so I'll do that. They wanted
about 5x as much at Big Al's for ones with rhizomes.

I'm rather shocked that any store would charge money for a leaf....

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

redled 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

Java ferns -no rhizomes

Yeah, they just opened here a little while ago, and from the beginning I tried
to avoid them for fish. It feels like they know a lot, but would rathar make
a sale than share that knowledge. I'm going to avoid them for plants now too,
after that (they also sold me "aquafern" which I'm now sure is not aquatic at
all, and I don't think it was even alive when I bought it). When I asked if
they could order glosso, the guy (a manager, I think) said "No, but I have it
at home, it's very nice" and then walked away. Oh well, a more deserving LFS
will get all my money from now on.