Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Cannibul

Default gravel or sand?

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:36:54 -0500, "Bruce Geist"
wrote:

Also, I warn you up front, Flourite is a pain to rinse. You will need to
get some window screening or similar thing to rinse the stuff with a hose.
I have spent 30 to 40 minutes per bag rinsing. If you don't rinse
thoroughly, you will have a mess in your tank.

-Bruce

You are trying to hard Bruce. I can rinse a bag in about 10
minutes. The secret is not to beat the stuff to death and not to use
the red as it is much dustier.

What I do is put half a bag in a Rubber Maid tub, then using a hose
end sprayer I give it a good hard spraying, then I dump the water and
spray some more, about three to five cycles of this is good enough,
and it saves most of the fines. Then put the stuff in your tank,
place a pie tin or a plate on it and directing the flow of water onto
the pie tin or plate fill the tank slowly. Last tank I did this with
was a 10 gallon with a full bag of Flourite and the water was clear in
about 10 minutes.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

Bruce Geist wrote ...

...(This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether again.. ...

Tank looks real nice. Can anyone recommend a product for keeping fish from
moving while having their picture taken with a digital camera?

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
chet

"kush" wrote in message

Bruce Geist wrote ...

...(This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether again.. ...

Tank looks real nice. Can anyone recommend a product for keeping fish from
moving while having their picture taken with a digital camera?

Do you want them to survive, or just pose for the picture? If survival is
not that important, maybe a little vodka, clove oil, there must be something
to slow them down.

Note:
This is intended as a joke in poor taste. Anyone that takes this as a
serious suggestion needs to relax a bit.

;^)

chet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Dustin

Hey Bruce,

Nice input with the photos haha. What are the small forground plants? I
like those

what are your stats with that tank? lighting? co2? flourite substrate of
course

Dustin

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
I agree with Leigh's recommendation. I would use it straight, and I might
order more than what you have described--enough to put about 2.5 inches of
the stuff down-- say have a *minimum* of 2 inches up front and gradually
slope it to 3 to 3.5 inches in the rear of the tank. Its nice looking
stuff-- take a look at
http://hometown.aol.com/brucekgeist/...e/profile.html
to see an example. (This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether
again.. ) Are you gonna create elevated regions of the tank? You may
want some extra substrate for terracing..

Also, I warn you up front, Flourite is a pain to rinse. You will need to
get some window screening or similar thing to rinse the stuff with a hose.
I have spent 30 to 40 minutes per bag rinsing. If you don't rinse
thoroughly, you will have a mess in your tank.

-Bruce

"LeighMo" wrote in message
So I ordered enough for a 1 1/2 inch layer on the bottom - in your

opinion
what should i put above it? sand or gravel or both?

I would just use it straight. If you want to put something on top of

it,
suit
yourself. On the one hand, fine gravel/sand is generally better for

plants.
On the other hand, Flourite is more likely to stay under gravel than

sand.
Fines tend to settle down, while large particles tend to "float" up.

(Which is
why there are always new rocks in a plowed field, even though the farmer
removes them every year.) So it might be easier to keep the Flourite

under
gravel. (Flourite is very light.)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

What are the small forground plants? I
like those

Those are chain swords, Echinodorus tenellus. There actually not doing so
well right now. I just added some plant tabs to the substrate below these
plants. I hope they will pep up. I thinned them rather dramitically
recently, and they have not yet recovered.

I inject CO2, have 385 watts of CF lighting, an Eheim filter (2028).

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Arild Madsen

chet wrote:
"kush" wrote in message

Bruce Geist wrote ...

...(This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether again.. ...

Tank looks real nice. Can anyone recommend a product for keeping fish from
moving while having their picture taken with a digital camera?

Do you want them to survive, or just pose for the picture? If survival is
not that important, maybe a little vodka, clove oil, there must be something
to slow them down.

What about jelly? )
should keep the fish in right place. No need to wait for the fish.

Note:
This is intended as a joke in poor taste. Anyone that takes this as a
serious suggestion needs to relax a bit.
;^)
chet

Jellyfish
aka
Arild Madsen

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Sand or Gravel? rapdor Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 25-08-2003 06:22 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Sand or Gravel? Martin A. Gross Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM