Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Dustin

Default gravel or sand?

Hi All!
Id like your optinoin for a subtrate *sp?* for a planted tank. Gravel or
Sand / or a combo / or ?

Thanks! And HAPPY NEW YEAR~!!!

Dustin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

I use all gravel and love it, but I'm clearly in the minority on this board.

I find that gravel is easier to keep clean and that it's easier to move
plants around without making a mess. A lot of heavy root feeders like
swords, particularly the red ones, and many crypts, will do better in a
finer substrate.

kush, waiting for Leigh to rebut

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

You will like Flourite. See the other thread on substrates in this news
group for more information.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SteveG

I currently have tahitian sand (black). 1.5" sand/aquapharm laterite mix
and another 1" sand. I'm not 100% happy bec. it's not flourite! and I
find hat the roots from stem plants can not seem to penetrate the surface of
it. Instead of the roots in the gravel, they lay on top of it and start to
become hairy(bec. of the root system branching out.) I do have albino cory
cats. I'm sure they also have something to do with it.

What do you mean by "substrate *sp*" btw?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Aqua

I use 80% Fluorite and 20% pool filter sand.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Dustin

*sp?* meaning I didnt know if I spelled it right

What do you think the corys have to do with anything?

Thanks

news

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Dustin

Ok Great,
Where is the best place to buy flourite, or is there really?
Thanks!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SteveG

They just move around sifting through the sand and moving things around.
But once the plants are established, they can't do anything about it.

"Dustin" wrote in message
*sp?* meaning I didnt know if I spelled it right

What do you think the corys have to do with anything?

Thanks

news

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

kush, waiting for Leigh to rebut

LOL!

I can't really argue with anything you said. Yes, plain gravel is easier to
keep clean. But in a planted tank, clean substrate is the last thing you want!
:-)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Ok Great,
Where is the best place to buy flourite, or is there really?
Thanks!

You could ask at your LFS, and see what price they could give you. For most
people, though, mail order is cheapest. In particular, Foster & Smith. Their
list price is a little higher than places like Big Al's, but they only charge
the standard shipping. Most other places charge the actual shipping cost,
which adds considerably to the price.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

Check out Big Al's online, at http://www.bigalsonline.com.

Here is the citation from their website (Sorry I could not provide a URL,
Big Al's web site is sort of strange that way. You can bring this citation
up by searching for Flourite at Big Al's web site, or by entering the
product number below.)

Flourite RedT is a specially fracted stable porous clay gravel for the
natural planted aquarium. Its appearance is best suited to planted aquaria,
but may be used in any aquarium environment. Flourite RedT is most effective
when used alone as an integral substrate bed, but it may be mixed with other
gravels. Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary. Flourite RedT
is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water.
Although pre-washed, it should be rinsed before use to remove residual dust.
Dust can also be minimized by filling tank slowly and dispersing water so
that the Flourite RedT bed is not disturbed. Slight initial cloudiness is
normal and will clear rapidly (2-12 hours). This bag is sufficient for about
a 5 cm (2 inch) deep bed in a typical 40 L (10 gallon) tank. Recommended use
is 1 kg (2 lbs) for approximately each 200 cm2 (31 in2) of tank bottom at a
depth of 5 cm (2 in)..
Price: $11.99
ASWO#19306
STATUS: In Stock

Big Al's is a place I like to shop. I also like Drs Foster and Smith: here
is their web address: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/. Typically, I find Big
Al's has slightly better pricing, though the web site and shopping at Drs
Foster and Smith is IMO easier to use. You should check around, since
shipping could make a big difference in the final price, and it may come
down to who is nearest your location.

-Bruce Geist

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

I also like Drs Foster and Smith: here
is their web address: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/. Typically, I find Big
Al's has slightly better pricing,

Agreed...except on Flourite. g Find out what the shipping is before you
order. IME, unless you live near Buffalo, NY, Foster and Smith is cheaper,
because their shipping charge is much less.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Dustin

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies
I ordered it from aquariumpros.com - it was the closest / offered the
cheapest shipping rate to my location. I called them for 1/2 hour, they
were very very helpful

So I ordered enough for a 1 1/2 inch layer on the bottom - in your opinion
what should i put above it? sand or gravel or both?

Thanks Again!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

So I ordered enough for a 1 1/2 inch layer on the bottom - in your opinion
what should i put above it? sand or gravel or both?

I would just use it straight. If you want to put something on top of it, suit
yourself. On the one hand, fine gravel/sand is generally better for plants.
On the other hand, Flourite is more likely to stay under gravel than sand.
Fines tend to settle down, while large particles tend to "float" up. (Which is
why there are always new rocks in a plowed field, even though the farmer
removes them every year.) So it might be easier to keep the Flourite under
gravel. (Flourite is very light.)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

I agree with Leigh's recommendation. I would use it straight, and I might
order more than what you have described--enough to put about 2.5 inches of
the stuff down-- say have a *minimum* of 2 inches up front and gradually
slope it to 3 to 3.5 inches in the rear of the tank. Its nice looking
stuff-- take a look at
http://hometown.aol.com/brucekgeist/...e/profile.html
to see an example. (This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether
again.. ) Are you gonna create elevated regions of the tank? You may
want some extra substrate for terracing..

Also, I warn you up front, Flourite is a pain to rinse. You will need to
get some window screening or similar thing to rinse the stuff with a hose.
I have spent 30 to 40 minutes per bag rinsing. If you don't rinse
thoroughly, you will have a mess in your tank.

-Bruce

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Sand or Gravel? rapdor Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 25-08-2003 06:22 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Sand or Gravel? Martin A. Gross Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM