GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   50/50 bulbs for plant growth? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16192-50-50-bulbs-plant-growth.html)

Horm 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

50/50 bulbs for plant growth?

Hello all,

Can Coralife 50/50 compact fluorescent bulbs to used effectively to grow
plants? I have a 125 loach tank with two 55 watt 6700k CFs and nothing but
java ferns and moss grows. I'm considering two 36" Aqualife (Coralife) CF
fixtures, but it comes with 96 watt 50/50 marine bulbs. The manufacturer's
site lists these bulbs as 50% 10000k daylight and 50% Actinic 03 Blue.
These will almost double my light output, but
I hear that the actinic lighting does nothing for plant growth. Any
thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Horm

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:16 AM

50/50 bulbs for plant growth?

Can Coralife 50/50 compact fluorescent bulbs to used effectively to grow
plants?

Yes. 50% actinic bulbs may not be ideal, but they work well enough.

If you really want this fixture, get it. When it comes time to replace the
bulbs, replace them with the kind you prefer.

OTOH, you can probably find fixtures that come with non-actinic bulbs. AH
Supply, Custom Sealife, etc.

Leigh