Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Wraith

Default Thinking of using a cork background for your aquarium?

You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../od_nm/lynx_dc
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

Read the article again. It is the *decrease* in demand for cork products
which is causing the cork forests to be destroyed, to make way for more
profitable crops.

Wraith wrote in message
You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...=/nm/20021227/
od_nm/lynx_dc

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:14:29 GMT, Wraith wrote:

You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../od_nm/lynx_dc

Cork bark is harvested repeatedly from the same tree. It doesn't kill
the tree when the remove the outer layer of cork bark.

Decrease in demand (because people THINK using real cork is bad for
the environment) is the cause of the problem in the article. Since
there is less demand, there is less profit in growing and harvesting
the cork bark. So the local people are clearing the forests to find
some other way to make money.

It's very common to THINK something is bad for the environment, only
to find out the opposite. There was a discussion on APD about
cardinal tetras. Someone said that they were being wiped out in the
wild due to over-fishing for the aquarium industry. In fact, the
opposite is true. Decreased demand resulted in the local people
needing to find some other way to make a buck, and so the natural
habitat was being destroyed. By buying cardinal tetras, you are
supporting sustainable taking of them from the wild, and therefore
providing some economic incentive for protecting their habitat.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Cannibul

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:14:29 GMT, Wraith wrote:

You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../od_nm/lynx_dc

Hey tree hugger, have some one literate read that to you. If they
read slow enough and explain the big words maybe you will understand
that we should all be using a cork background to help save those cats.
Or maybe your tree hugging head is so far up your ass that you think
that man as a species is bad for the planet.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Eric Schreiber

Cannibul wrote:

Or maybe your tree hugging head is so far up your ass that you think
that man as a species is bad for the planet.

Your charming post, Cannibul, is certainly a good argument in favor of
that position.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Empty

Cannibul wrote in
:

Or maybe your tree hugging head is so far up your ass that you think
that man as a species is bad for the planet.

You're sniffing your own colon if you doubt that we do more harm than good
on this planet.

~Empty

--
"I'm constantly forgetting my own phone number. Quite simply,
it's because I never call myself. (I used to, but I was never
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Robert H

Wraith wrote in message
You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...=/nm/20021227/
od_nm/lynx_dc

Most corkbark is taken from tree farms, and stripping the bark does
not harm this specie of tree. The biggest percentage of corkbark used
comes from Portugal. Using corkbark has no affect on the enviornment,
and has been used for hundreds of years.

Robert
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Ken Stager

Empty wrote in message . ..
Cannibul wrote in
:

Or maybe your tree hugging head is so far up your ass that you think
that man as a species is bad for the planet.

You're sniffing your own colon if you doubt that we do more harm than good
on this planet.

~Empty

Empty eh? Descriptive of the state of your cranium? Most likely so...

As to our species doing more harm than good on the planet. We can not
as yet sterilize the planet. Sure, we can run amok and render the
biosphere incapable of supporting us and other large lifeforms, at
least until we die off from our own folly. But life will continue and
in time repopulate the niches emptied by our actions. *WE* will not be
here to see it, but such is life. This does not give us license to
plunder and pillage to our hearts content, but we should realize that
we do change the environment to suit our needs, as do other species
like Elephants and goats.

Zealotry in the Ecosphere/Humans FIRST! battle is a bad thing, and
will bring no good to anybody. Heck fanatisism in general is bad,
unless its in the pursuit and defense of Liberty. But then, that is a
whole 'nother HUGE can of worms (and not tubifex worms either).

As for using cork as a background, that has always looked kinda retro
to my eyes. Like something out of the 60s and 70's. But it might
look attractive w/ a metal framed tank, populated with Angel fish and
day-glow plastic plants. 'Course, that is just my opinion. And we
all know what is said about opinions...
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM

As for using cork as a background, that has always looked kinda retro
to my eyes. Like something out of the 60s and 70's. But it might
look attractive w/ a metal framed tank, populated with Angel fish and
day-glow plastic plants. 'Course, that is just my opinion. And we
all know what is said about opinions...

My tanks don't look retro or like something for the 60 or 70's

Tree hugging.......well plants don't get much respect so _a little_ is
certainly in order.
Zealotry is all it's forms is a bad thing. Ahem.........well except
with keeping more planted tanks that is........every household should
be forced to have one by law:-)
Lop off one's thumb if it's not green would be the punishment?

Why are trees and little furry critters always the focus? Will they
come after me for killing algae? Both are life forms and algae is the
most important life form there is and ever was.
Who will defend the algae?

Guess I'll put a cork in it for now:-)

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Richard J. Sexton

In article ,
Robert H wrote:
.. .

Wraith wrote in message
You might want to rethink that, lest you contribute to the extinction
of the first feline species since the saber-tooth tiger.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...=/nm/20021227/
od_nm/lynx_dc

Most corkbark is taken from tree farms, and stripping the bark does
not harm this specie of tree. The biggest percentage of corkbark used
comes from Portugal. Using corkbark has no affect on the enviornment,
and has been used for hundreds of years.

There actually might be a surplus of cork. They had a problem with it
in portugal in the last few years and the wine bottlers switched
to very good plastic replicas of corks. When the cork crop came
back, the demand wasn't there; the bottlers prefered the plastic...

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Empty

(Ken Stager) wrote in
om:

Empty eh? Descriptive of the state of your cranium? Most likely so...

Hey, you can feel free to think so if it makes you feel better.

As to our species doing more harm than good on the planet. We can not
as yet sterilize the planet. Sure, we can run amok and render the
biosphere incapable of supporting us and other large lifeforms, at
least until we die off from our own folly. But life will continue and
in time repopulate the niches emptied by our actions. *WE* will not be
here to see it, but such is life. This does not give us license to
plunder and pillage to our hearts content, but we should realize that
we do change the environment to suit our needs, as do other species
like Elephants and goats.

How many species have elephants knowingly extincted or endangered?

I did not say we were autoclaving the planet, merely that we do more harm
than good.

As for using cork as a background, that has always looked kinda retro
to my eyes. Like something out of the 60s and 70's.

Perhaps on its own, but I have seen some nice walls of mosses and ferns
grown out of cork backgrounds.

~Empty
Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

Empty wrote ...

I did not say we were autoclaving the planet, merely that we do more harm
than good.

Apparently, it's the term "harm" that is subjective. I, personally, would
be willing to sacrifice upwards of 90% of all species currently extant in
order to eradicate the mosquito and black fly. Relax, I'm just kidding. At
least, I think I'm kidding.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Empty

"kush" wrote in
:

Apparently, it's the term "harm" that is subjective. I, personally,
would be willing to sacrifice upwards of 90% of all species currently
extant in order to eradicate the mosquito and black fly. Relax, I'm
just kidding. At least, I think I'm kidding.

Well hey, that's not *all* creatures.
/sarcasm
/extremist

~Empty, who thinks "evil" can be incremental