Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default plant food tablets

Hello all,

An Amazon Sword plant of mine appears to be suffering from
nutrient deficiency, so a few weeks ago I picked up a pack of plant
fertilizer tablets. They only had tablets marked for use in ponds, but
after carefully reading what was in it, they had all the good stuff, so
I gave them a shot.

Two or three weeks has gone by now and I haven't noticed any
change since I started popping these near the crown of the sword plant.
The tablets are large, so I've been cutting them in half before I bury
them.

The tank is a 20 long with a twin-tube 40 watt fixture. No CO2.
I add less than half the recomended dosage of Kent Freshwater plant
supplement and half the dosage of Seachem Flourish Trace when I do a
water change (each week or two). Do I just need to order better plant
food or is it something else?

The analysis by weight from the back of the tablets' package:
Total Nitrogen 20%
Water Soluble 7%
Water Insoluble 13%
Phosphate 10%
Potash 5%
Calcium 0.5%
Magnesium 0.5%
Sulfur 2%
Boron 0.02%
Copper 0.05%
Iron 0.5%
Manganese 0.05%
Zinc 0.05%

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Yield

The problem probably isn't your fertilizer - it's probably the Amazon's
themselves. You've probably had these plants for some months now, correct?
They were likely a healthy green when you planted them too...

Amazon's are just one example of plants that are not accustomed to being
submerged year-round. In their native habitat, they are used to being
flooded for months at a time, but not all year. As a result, they grow
yellow and weak and eventually die out completely when kept submerged.

You may want to try some true aquatic plants instead. I found this great
website that lists some of the species and gives good general info on plant
health: http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/info.asp

Remember, just because your LFS sells plants, it doesn't mean they are good
for keeping underwater! Don't feel too bad about it though - I've been
through the same thing myself! Putting Amazon's underwater is generally a
death sentence for them!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Paul Chapman

"Yield" wrote in message
[...]

Really? The web site you reference seems to think that they are just fine
in the aquarium.

http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/pl...Aquarium&id=45

I've never heard this before and my experience has been that I can grow
pretty huge swords, long term, in an aquarium if conditions are right.
Could you back up this claim that the Amazon Sword is unsuitable for the
aquarium?

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Amazon's are just one example of plants that are not accustomed to being
submerged year-round.

Maybe they aren't, but they do just fine submersed. I've had my Amazon swords
for over a year now, entirely submerged, and they are still growing like crazy,
not yellow or weak at all.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

I find that my swords get "tired" and need to be replaced after a two, maybe
three years maximum. However, during those few years they have propagated
so prolifically (in a submerged state, mind you) that there are plenty of
replacements.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Ross Vandegrift

In article , kush wrote:
I find that my swords get "tired" and need to be replaced after a two, maybe
three years maximum. However, during those few years they have propagated
so prolifically (in a submerged state, mind you) that there are plenty of
replacements.

Hmmm, I have two sword plants in two tanks. The plant in question has
been around for only a year, maybe a year and a half. It's been growing
mediocrely due to it being my first planted tank - I had a lot to learn
about how to grow plants ::-)

Do you think it stands a reasonable chance of coming back if I keep
feeding it and keeping conditions well, or should I just be prepared to
replace it?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
M Walczak

I have a sword the has produced a stem with baby swords. When and how do i
go about propagating these.
Currently there are no roots.
Secondly, Could someone please explain the differences between submerged and
submersed, etc in a planted tank?
Thanks.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

Submerged plants are plants grown completely under water and are considered
true aquatic plants while emersed plants are grown just below the waterline
usually in high humidity/misty environment which can survive submerged for a
given period of time before flaking it. Submersed ones are probably ones
that grow emersed and end up being submerged during heavy rains/floods and
then grow emersed again I think.

rthlink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

oops didn't check my post, the emersed ones are grown below the waterline
but the stems/fronds whatever above the waterline or something like that.

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
Submerged plants are plants grown completely under water and are

considered
true aquatic plants while emersed plants are grown just below the

waterline
usually in high humidity/misty environment which can survive submerged for

given period of time before flaking it. Submersed ones are probably ones
that grow emersed and end up being submerged during heavy rains/floods and
then grow emersed again I think.

rthlink.net...