Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SlimFlem

Default new DIY system setup

Hi.

http://www.geocities.com/slimflem/co2/

Here are some pics of my DIY CO2 system I made today. These wine bottles
are about 3 L. I used 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of yeast, and 1/2 teaspon
of baking soda. After the bottles have been sitting for about 1.5 hours, I
am already getting bubbles from the airline...about 1 per second. I thought
it took at least overnight for the yeast to activate. Could this be CO2
this early on? Could it be due to the fact that the yeast was room
temperature when I made the mix? Or is this just air being pushed out of
the bottles and not really CO2 yet?

Also, from looking at the picture, tube_in_filter.jpg, does this look ok for
injecting it into my tank?

Thanks,
Jesse

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SlimFlem

This setup is pushing at least 2 - 3 bubbles per second. I had the tube
stuck into the Eheim intake, but I had to remove that. I came back from
dinner and my tank was filled with millions of tiny bubbles. The filter is
still ejecting all the bubbles. Maybe I should remove one of the bottles
for now and see what one does.

Will the bubbles be dissolved into the water if I just let it bubble to the
surface?

thanks.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SlimFlem

Here is a link with some pictures. The GeoCities site was not allowing any
more traffic.

http://www.templeofchaos.com/~liquid/co2/

I have removed the tube from the filter intake, as you can see from one of
the pictures in the sub folder "after_several_hours".

later.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SlimFlem

I have a 75 gallon.

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
How big is your tank?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

Whoa, ease up on the yeast, using too much initially will cause the mixture
to expire much sooner. If you're putting it into the eheim intake I think
you only need 1 bubble about every second for a tank your size. 1/4 -1/2 a
teaspoon is sufficient to get the reaction started. I've got 1 bubble per 3
seconds for my 150L(~38G) aquarium. So if you're going to use two CO2
bottles for the 75G tank try to cut back on bubble rate. Are the bubbles in
your tank coming from the plants or from the outake of the filter? Have you
measured your Ph before injecting and now?

.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

Just sticking the co2 line into the tank is about as good as breathing
rapidly on 1 plant in your garden hoping it will grow faster because of the
extra CO2, no pun intended. =)

newspOR9.566152$WL3.158276@rwcrnsc54...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SlimFlem

OK. I was basing the yeast quantity from the mixture Jason recommended in
the thread "DIY CO2 Instructions" for a 2 L bottle. Maybe this was a little
too much. I'll dump the mixtures in the morning and remake them with only
1/2 tspn of yeast. Am I ok with the 2 cups of sugar?

The bubbles were coming from the Eheim outlet after I stuck the airline into
the intake. However, my Amazon Swords do pearl throughout the day. Maybe I
can get by with one bottle and use the other one as a rotater when a new
mixture needs to be made.

The PH always stays at 7.5. It has not changed since the mixtures have been
going, but they have only been going for 8 hours or so. Since I removed the
airline tube from the filter intake, the bubbles probably aren't disolving
in the water as good right now.

thanks.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Jason

pH level change with co2 injection, but the amount that it changes depends
alot on the co2 levels in combination with the carbonate hardness of the
water... It varies depending on the water quality. my pH has gone done by
about .2 since i have started using my DIY method.. I might add though that
you should pay attention to the co2 levels in the tank...

I found out a few weeks ago that if you dont have a way to regulate the co2,
you start ****ing the fish off. I tested my co2 levels and found that i was
in excess of about 50ppm (wayyyyy to much). What I started doing to regulate
it is put the powerhead that distributes the co2 bubbles on a timer with my
lights, and this has helped dramatically. I run a plastic thick tube up to
my powerhead form below, and I put the co2 line up into that tube (so the
tubing catches and contains the bubbles.) when the powerhead is on, it
disperses very fine bubbles into the water (allowing for better diffusion),
when it is off (at night) the co2 is contained in the tube and really goes
nowhere... This has helped me stabilize the co2 influx into my tank because
i can simply adjust the timing on the powerhead for shorter intervals if
there is too much co2.

-Jason

newsBQR9.569073$P31.197940@rwcrnsc53...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

OK, I made new mixtures this morning using only 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. I
still used 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspon of baking powder in the same 2
bottles. If 2 bottles produces more than a bubble per second, I'll only use
one and have the other as the swapper. I'll post new bubble results when it
starts cookin'.

The ones I poured out this morning smelled like a bread factory. They were
really cookin'!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Does anyone get CO2 bubbles collecting on the surface of the water after
they are spit out of a powerhead?

.com...