Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
nunya

Default 10g Planted??

I've got a 10g tank that I'd like to successfully grow plants in. I've had
great success with some plants I bought at Wal-Mart. I planted too many of
the plants that grew too big, so right now they're suffering. Is there
anyway I can retrofit flourescent lighting into the factory lid or buy
another lid with flourescent lighting built in? I know I can grow a planted
tank successfully with a little more planning and the right light. Thanks.
Jared

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
chet

"nunya" wrote in message
I've got a 10g tank that I'd like to successfully grow plants in. I've had
great success with some plants I bought at Wal-Mart. I planted too many of
the plants that grew too big, so right now they're suffering. Is there
anyway I can retrofit flourescent lighting into the factory lid or buy
another lid with flourescent lighting built in? I know I can grow a

planted
tank successfully with a little more planning and the right light. Thanks.
Jared

Head on down to your local grocery or hardware store and pick up a compact
fluorescent bulb. At home depot, I saw a 25 watt fluorescent that screwed
into a standard incandescent bulb socket. There may be others. If your
existing tank hood has adequate clearance, this would seem a simple lamp
upgrade really, really cheap. On the other hand, you could go to
http://www.ahsupply.com and buy one of their kits.

Your call.

chet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Cesium

Head on down to your local grocery or hardware store and pick up a compact
fluorescent bulb. At home depot, I saw a 25 watt fluorescent that screwed
into a standard incandescent bulb socket. There may be others. If your
existing tank hood has adequate clearance, this would seem a simple lamp
upgrade really, really cheap. On the other hand, you could go to
http://www.ahsupply.com and buy one of their kits.

I still haven't seen any information about the spectrum of these compact
flourescent lights. Does anyone have any evidence that they provide the
necessary wavelengths for optimal plant growth?
-Cesium

---

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
chet

"Cesium" wrote in message
Head on down to your local grocery or hardware store and pick up a

compact
fluorescent bulb. At home depot, I saw a 25 watt fluorescent that

screwed
into a standard incandescent bulb socket. There may be others. If your
existing tank hood has adequate clearance, this would seem a simple lamp
upgrade really, really cheap. On the other hand, you could go to
http://www.ahsupply.com and buy one of their kits.

I still haven't seen any information about the spectrum of these compact
flourescent lights. Does anyone have any evidence that they provide the
necessary wavelengths for optimal plant growth?
-Cesium

you mean as compared to the 8 watt incandescent that generally comes with a
10 gallon tank? It's got to be an improvement.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
BillyBob

I've got a 10g coldwater planted tank, with lots of crypt going on a
stadard 10gal light strip w/ 2 13 watt compact fluorescents. Now one
has burned out and the crypt is still fine. I got the 5000k bulbs
from ahsupply.com.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
redled

In article , BillyBob wrote:
I've got a 10g coldwater planted tank, with lots of crypt going on a
stadard 10gal light strip w/ 2 13 watt compact fluorescents. Now one
has burned out and the crypt is still fine. I got the 5000k bulbs
from ahsupply.com.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:17:29 -0600, "nunya" wrote:

I've got a 10g tank that I'd like to successfully grow plants in. I've had
great success with some plants I bought at Wal-Mart. I planted too many of
the plants that grew too big, so right now they're suffering. Is there
anyway I can retrofit flourescent lighting into the factory lid or buy
another lid with flourescent lighting built in? I know I can grow a planted
tank successfully with a little more planning and the right light. Thanks.
Jared

When I upgraded the lighting in my 55gal, the two original flourescent lights
went straight into my 10gal (was incandescent) with a little modification to
the hood. I mention this because anytime you can convince yourself to buy a
bigger tank, it's good.
Anyways, ahsupply.com is a good place to start. Most LFS should carry
flourescent hoods too, but note that usually these are not the greatest. Do
some searching on http://groups.google.com and you can find some other
people's experiences, if you haven't already.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John