Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Kenny Horn

Default Live Bamboo in an aquarium..

Hello..

Just had a though.. I'm thinking of putting some Bamboo shoots in my
aquarium?? I've seen dry bamboo used in an aquarium in a book to good
effect, recreating a natural Asian swamp/Amazon acid pool.. Just recently
seen a home furnishing store (Habitat, a rich man's Ikea!!) selling bamboo
shoots in small glass containers.. hey, must be a kewl/trendy thing to have
on you coffee table!!

Do you think live bamboo will do well fully submerged?? is this how it grows
naturally in the wild??

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Yield

Bamboo does seem to like to have it's roots submerged - don't know if
putting the whole thing underwater would work - it's not an aquatic plant.

My uncle has a large cut-glass vase with a potted houseplant suspended in
water with a beta living among the roots - very cool idea!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Moose

I used to sell them at a little trinket import crap shop a while back.
They'll take all the water you can give them, but they also need air.
They can't be totally submerged. They also like relatively low light
conditions, so if you're growing other plants and have an expensive light
setup, bamboo won't do too well.

"Yield" wrote in
t:

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Kenny Horn

thanks for the reply guys..

From what you've said.. I figure i'll give the live bamboo a miss. Although
i'd certainly consider it if i had a large aquarium with suspended lighting,
it would look cool growing out the top with other plants around it.. maybe
one for the future when i have a fish room!! I can dream!!

I might still look at dried/dead bamboo as i think this looks kewl, gives
the impression of depth and a more natural feel of a amazon swamp/pool
effect!!

cheers,
Kenny

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Haywire

Kenny, I saw a set up in a local shop the other day, the back of the tank
glass was covered with bamboo, and it was growing out the back of the tank
between the light and the "services" entering the tank. The stalks look
good in the water I must admit, but for me the plant is either in the tank,
or in a pot.

"Kenny Horn" - wrote in :

thanks for the reply guys..

From what you've said.. I figure i'll give the live bamboo a miss.
Although i'd certainly consider it if i had a large aquarium with

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Aquatic-store.com

As far as I know it only grows partially submerged. I trid some in
one tank and they died.

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com